1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I Boundary Layer Suction

1. Apr 11, 2016 #1
    I have a question about the following scenario involving a flow separation issue in a pipe expansion

upload_2016-4-12_11-28-27.png

The angle of the expansion is 30* - doubling the diameter from 1D to 2D

We can consider this flow fully developed with a Reynolds of 5000+

Associated with this expansion is a head loss caused by localised flow separation converting flow to eddies and vortices which I understand to then cascade down to the Kolmogorov length scale where they are dispersed as heat.

If I was to zoom in the localisation might look like this

The K factor resistant coefficient associated with this configuration is 0.46

Current tables upload_2016-4-12_11-28-27.png

In aerodynamics they use boundary layer control suction (removing Boundary Layer Static Pressure) or re-energizing the flow adding Dynamic Pressure) to reduce drag associated with flow separation

I am similarly interested in using boundary layer suction in my pipe (by reducing pressure at the start of the expansion to reduce the head loss**) but I am unsure I understand the actual mechanism that achieves this

My attempt at an explanation

Suction creates a localized low pressure zone ( ahead of the localized high pressure zone created by the stagnated flow within the boundary). This creates a new gradient with which this high pressure can disperse . As this gradient is in the streamwise direction this allows the energy to rejoin the flow as DP

My Question

Is this correct ? Would my resistance coefficient be lower than the 0.46 the pressure loss the expansion experiences without suction ?

**I am aware that adding suction will cost energy which will be more than the flow recovered: therefore will be energy deficit. I am only concerned with lowering the Resistance coefficient

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 12, 2016 #2

boneh3ad

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Suction does create a localized low pressure zone near the wall, but the important effect here is that, while there was no wall- normal pressure gradient before (it's a boundary layer, after all), there is now a favorable pressure gradient, however slight, pointing toward the wall. This tends to draw more high-momentum fluid from the free stream down toward the wall, and promotes having a "fuller" boundary layer than would otherwise occur. The result is a boundary layer that, among other things, is more resistant to separation.

I do believe it makes sense that you would experience less flow resistance if you were to add suction as you have described.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted