Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Boundary Layers Of An Aerofoil

1. Nov 9, 2006 #1
    :confused: :confused: hi everyoone

I am carrying reasearch on BOUNDARY LAYERS OF AN AEROFOIL. I have been looking around for information but so far everything as been in vain. I will really be grateful if someone could help. Please urgent :confused: :confused:
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 9, 2006 #2

Science Advisor

What in particular are you looking for? Where did you look?
  4. Nov 25, 2006 #3
    Hi people, i am really in a deep trouble and i will be so happy if anyone can help. Any tips will be so appreciated and make a real different to what i am going through at the moment. i have got two question to answer.

1. Experiment of boundry layer on a flat surface : giving dtails of how the boundry layer are formed

2.Eperiment of pressure distribution on an airfoil at differents angle of attack

View Public Profile
    Send a private message to moust
    Find More Posts by moust
    Add moust to Your Buddy List
  5. Dec 12, 2006 #4

Science Advisor

The boundary layer exists because of the no-slip condition in real-world flows. Because velocity right at the wall must be zero, there must be some velocity gradient between zero velocity and the free-stream velocity. The part of the flow between the wall and 99.9% of the free-stream velocity is said to be the boundary layer.

If one non-dimensionalizes the Navier-Stokes equations, I believe there is a term that looks something like:
    Because the term in front is so large, the velocity gradient must be large to make it "matter" in the equations. (note: I'm 50% sure of the equation, either way its something like that).

That is the reason that the boundary layer is so small (think <1/2" on your car at 60mph).

Hope thats a start.

edit: Also, you can directly apply boundary layer equations for a flat plate for your simple analysis. For the leading edge of the airfoil, you can use the Hiemenz (sp?) stagnation solution. Then, because the boundary layer is thin compared to the curvature of the airfoil, the flow essentially "sees" that its flowing over a flat plate.
    Last edited: Dec 12, 2006
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?