1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Boundary value problem

1. Jan 24, 2007 #1
    Schodinger's equation for one-dimensional motion of a particle whose potential energy is zero is
    [tex]\frac{d^2}{dx^2}\psi +(2mE/h^2)^\frac{1}{2}\psi = 0 [/tex]
    where [tex] \psi [/tex] is the wave function, m the mass of the particle, E its kinetic energy and h is Planck's constant. Show that

[tex]\psi = Asin(kx) + Bcos(kx)[/tex] ( where A and B are constants) and [tex] k =(2mE/h^2)^\frac{1}{2}[/tex] is a solution of the equation.
    Using the boundary conditions [tex]\psi=0[/tex] when x=0 and when x=a, show that
    (i) the kinetic energy [tex]E=h^2n^2/8ma^2[/tex]
    (ii) the wave function [tex]\psi = A sin(n\pi\times x/a)[/tex] where n is any integer. (Note if [tex] sin(\theta) = 0 then \theta=n\pi[/tex])

My attempt:

A*sin(0) + B*cos(0) = 0, => 0 +B =0 => B = 0.
    Therefore
    A*sin(k*a)=0, Therefore [tex] (2mE/h^2)^\frac{1}{2}a = n\pi => E=n^2\pi^2h^2/2ma^2[/tex]
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

Last edited: Jan 24, 2007
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 24, 2007 #2
    (ii) should read A*sin(n*pi*x/a), I'm just notgood at boundary value problems.

4. Jan 24, 2007 #3

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Well, first, you haven't shown that that [itex]\psi[/itex] does, in fact, satisfy the differential equation. After that, yes, B= 0. Now, assuming A is not 0, that is that [itex]\psi[/itex] is not itself identically 0, then yes, we must have sin(ka)= 0 so that [itex]ka= (2mE/h^2)^{\frac{1}{2}}= n\pi[/itex]. E follows eactly as you say.
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution[/QUOTE]

5. Jan 25, 2007 #4
    I was able to show that [tex]\psi[/tex] is a solution of the equation, it is (i) and (ii) that I had trouble doing espically (ii) i.e., [tex]\psi = A sin(n\pi\times x/a)[/tex]. Where did he get the argument "[tex]n\pi\times x/a[/tex]", or more importantly how does he expect me to get that argument of the sine.
    Also remember in (i) the answer he has for E [tex]=h^2n^2/8ma^2[/tex], not what I got for E. Thanks for the help.

6. Jan 26, 2007 #5
    I hope someone can tell me how [tex]\psi[/tex] can go from [tex] Asin((2mE/h^2)^\frac{1}{2}x) to Asin(n\pi\times x/a)[/tex]. Thanks for the help.

7. Jan 26, 2007 #6

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Well, when x= a, the argument is [itex]n\pi[/itex] what is [itex]sin(n\pi)[/tex]? Remember that you were told that [itex]\psi(0)= 0[/itex] and [itex]\psi(a)= 0[/itex]. Knowing that cos(0)= 1 tells us that the second constant, B, must be 0. That leaves Asin(kx). We must have Asin(ka)= 0 and we don't want A= 0 (that would mean our function is always 0) so we must have sin(ka)= 0. For what x is sin(x)= 0? Multiples of [itex]\pi[/itex] of course:
    [itex]ka= n\pi[/itex]. For that to be true, k must be equal to [itex]n\pi/a[/itex]

You were also told that [itex]k= \sqrt{2ME/h^2}[/itex] and you now know [itex]k= n\pi/a[\itex] so [itex]n\pi/a= \sqrt{2ME/h^2}[/itex]. Solve that for E.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?