What is the difference between Flow and Boundary Separation?

In summary, Flow and Boundary Separation are interchangeable terms used to describe the phenomenon of fluid separating from a surface due to its viscosity. This concept is discussed in Paul K. Chang's book "Separation of Flow" and is often referred to as boundary layer flow separation or boundary layer separation. The Wikipedia description of this phenomenon is inaccurate and misleading.
JTC
Could someone please go here...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flow_separation

And explain to me the difference between Flow and Boundary Separation discussed in the opening.

Because this explanation makes no sense to me. I have the problem. I just don't understand the difference.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I don’t think that there is a difference. In Paul K. Chang’s book "Separation of Flow“ one reads in chapter I: "The classical concept of flow separation is because of viscosity; therefore, it is often expressed as boundary layer flow separation or boundary layer separation.

Boy that Wikipedia intro is a mess. There's no difference, and their description of what it is ("speed of the boundary layer relative to the object falls almost to zero") is utter nonsense.

Likes Lord Jestocost

What is boundary separation?

Boundary separation is when the flow of a fluid, such as air or water, separates from the surface of an object, creating a boundary layer. This can result in changes in pressure and drag on the object.

What is flow separation?

Flow separation is the detachment of a fluid flow from an object's surface due to adverse pressure gradients. This can result in turbulence and reduced efficiency of the object, such as an airplane wing.

What causes boundary and flow separation?

Boundary and flow separation are primarily caused by changes in the direction or speed of a fluid flow, which can result in changes in pressure and disruption of the boundary layer. Other factors, such as surface roughness and object shape, can also contribute to separation.

What are the consequences of boundary and flow separation?

Boundary and flow separation can have negative consequences for the efficiency and performance of objects, such as airplanes, cars, and boats. It can also affect the accuracy of predictions and calculations in fluid dynamics and aerodynamics.

How can boundary and flow separation be mitigated?

Boundary and flow separation can be mitigated through various techniques, such as modifying the shape or surface of an object to reduce adverse pressure gradients and minimize turbulence. Additionally, using control devices, such as vortex generators, can help to manipulate the flow and prevent separation.