1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Bounded integral

1. Feb 7, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    I have to take an integral of [tex]x^3/(1+x^2)[/tex] from zero to 1.48766439....(I have the number).

2. Relevant equations
    None really.

3. The attempt at a solution
    Well, I tried and tried, and I could not find a single way to seperate the top from the bottom. Also, I tried u substitution of both [tex]x^3[/tex] and [tex]1+x^2[/tex] but it never seemed to work out. I'm not sure if this would be good for integration of parts, since I believe that one must be able to be integrated multiple times, such as [tex]e^x[/tex], so any nudge in the right direction would help. I have the correct answer, I just would like to be able to know how to get to it. Thank you for your time.

-Swerting

Last edited: Feb 7, 2009
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 7, 2009 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Try writing it as x^2*x/(1+x^2). Now substitute u=1+x^2. Replace the x^2 in the numerator by u-1. Do you see it now?

4. Feb 7, 2009 #3
    Ah yes! I completely forgot about that! Thank you very much, I do believe I have it now!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook