Bounded intervals in R and bisection method proof

In summary, if F satisfies property 1, then it also satisfies the least upper bound property. This can be proven by showing that F also has the Archimedean property, and then using property 1 to show that F satisfies the least upper bound property.
prettymidget

Homework Statement

Let property 1 be : If [ai,bi] is a sequence of intervals that are closed such that for each i the interval [a(i+1), b(i+1)] is either the left half of [ai,bi] or the right half, then there exists precisely 1 number in all intervals sequence.

Show if a field f satisfies this, then it satisfies the least upper bound property.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Let F be an ordered field that satisfies property 1. Let [ai,bi] be a sequence of intervals in F such that for each i the interval [a(i+1), b(i+1)] is either the left half of [ai,bi] or the right half. Then we have that there exists precisely 1 number in all intervals in this sequence.

The least upper bound property as my professor stated was that for any bounded above subset T of R, sup(T) exists.

I get intuitively why this has to follow from the bisection property thing, but I'm baffled on how to start the proof. My professor gave a hint in form of "How does the archimedean property follow from the bisection principle" but I'm not seeing it.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

First, we need to show that F has the Archimedean property. This property states that for any x,y∈F with x>0, there exists a positive integer n such that nx>y.

To prove this, let x,y∈F with x>0. We can construct a sequence of intervals [ai,bi] such that ai=0 and bi=nx for some positive integer n. By property 1, there exists a unique number c that is contained in all intervals [ai,bi]. Since c is contained in the intervals, it must be greater than or equal to 0 and less than or equal to nx. Therefore, we have nx>c.

Now, we need to show that F satisfies the least upper bound property. Let T be a bounded above subset of F. We can construct a sequence of intervals [ai,bi] such that ai=sup(T)-1 and bi=sup(T)+1. By property 1, there exists a unique number c that is contained in all intervals [ai,bi]. Since c is contained in the intervals, it must be greater than or equal to sup(T)-1 and less than or equal to sup(T)+1. Thus, c is an upper bound for T and sup(T)≤c.

Now, let d be any upper bound for T. Since sup(T) is the least upper bound, we have sup(T)≤d. Therefore, sup(T) exists and F satisfies the least upper bound property.

1. What are bounded intervals in R?

Bounded intervals in R refer to a range of values within the real number system that are limited by a lower and upper bound. In other words, it is a closed interval between two real numbers, including the endpoints.

2. How are bounded intervals used in mathematical proofs?

Bounded intervals are often used in mathematical proofs to show that a function or equation is valid within a specific range of values. By defining the upper and lower bounds, mathematicians can prove that their equations hold true for all values within that range.

3. What is the bisection method?

The bisection method is an algorithm used to find the root of a function within a bounded interval. It involves repeatedly dividing the interval in half and checking which half the root lies in, until the interval becomes sufficiently small and the root is found.

4. How does the bisection method work?

The bisection method works by first defining a bounded interval within which the root is known to exist. It then divides the interval in half and checks which half the root is in. The process is repeated until the interval becomes small enough that the root is found within a desired level of accuracy.

5. Can the bisection method be used for all functions?

No, the bisection method can only be used to find the root of a continuous function within a bounded interval. It cannot be used for functions with discontinuities or that are not defined within a bounded interval.