1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Bounded linear operator

1. Nov 22, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

3. The attempt at a solution

Via induction: for n=1 equality holds now assume that Vn=Jn.
    I introduce a dummy variable b and the fundamental theorem of calculus and change order of integration:

[tex] V_{n+1}f(t) = \int_a^t \frac{(t-s)^n}{n!} f(s) \mbox{d}s = \int_a^t \frac{t-s}{n} \frac{(t-s)^{n-1} } {(n-1)!} \mbox{d}s = \int_a^t \int_s^t \frac{1}{n} \frac{(t-s)^{n-1} } {(n-1)!} f(s) \mbox{d}b\ \mbox{d}s = \int_a^t \frac{1}{n} \int_a^b \frac{(t-s)^{n-1} } {(n-1)!} f(s) \mbox{d}s\ \mbox{d}b = \int_a^t \frac{1}{n} J^n f(b) \mbox{d}b

= \frac{1}{n} J(Jf) = \frac{1}{n} J^{n+1}f[/tex]

But how do I get rid of the 1/n?
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 22, 2008 #2
    First of all I would use a different "dummy" variable as [tex]b[/tex] is the right end of the interval. Let's us [tex]x[/tex].

For the matter at hand, your fifth equality is wrong: you can't use the induction hypothesis here, since in order for it to work you have to have [tex]\left(x-s\right)^{n-1}[/tex] in the numerator and not [tex]\left(t-s\right)^{n-1}[/tex].

I would take a slightly different approach (although induction is obviously the way to go).
  4. Nov 22, 2008 #3
    you should use integration by parts to integrate
    [tex] V_{n+1}f(t) = \int_a^t \frac{(t-s)^n}{n!} f(s) \mbox{d}s [/tex]
    try with
    [tex] \frac{(t-s)^n}{n!} = u , f(s)= dv [/tex]
    It works for me.
  5. Nov 22, 2008 #4
    Yes you're right, I should have used for example x. I still don't see the mistake it shouldn't read b-a it should read t-s.

Which is?

Yes that worked, thanks!
  6. Nov 23, 2008 #5
    I don't see that I need to convince you anymore seeing as you solved it, but the induction hypothesis reads

Or, since the argument is now x and not t,

7. Nov 23, 2008 #6
    Yes you're right I see my mistake now thanks.

So I found this:

V_{n+1}f = \int_a^t \frac{(t-s)^n}{n!}\ f(s)\ \mbox{d}s = \left[ Jf(s) \frac{(t-s)^n}{n!} \right] _a^t + \int_a^t \frac{(t-s)^{n-1}}{(n-1)!)}\ Jf(s) \mbox{d}s = V_n(Jf) = J^n (Jf) =J^{n+1}f
    Last edited: Nov 23, 2008
  8. Nov 23, 2008 #7
    I'm also stuck at the second assignment:

With definitions:

Should I use Holders inequality?
  9. Nov 23, 2008 #8
    Show that for any function f mit sup norm 1, you have [itex]||J^nf||\leq||J^n\underline 1||[/itex] where [itex]\underline 1[/itex] is the constant one function. Calculate [itex]||J^n\underline 1||[/itex] and conclude!
  10. Nov 23, 2008 #9
    Suppose [itex]||J^nf||\leq||J^n\underline 1||[/itex] then how can I calculate [itex]||J^n\underline 1||[/itex]?

Is it this:

[tex] \int_a^b \int_a^t \left| \frac{(t-s)^{n-1}}{(n-1)!}\ \right| \mbox{d}s\ \mbox{d}t [/tex]
  11. Nov 23, 2008 #10
    What is the norm you are using? Normally, C([a,b]) is endowed with the sup norm. Are you using the L_1 norm?
  12. Nov 23, 2008 #11
    Yes I'm using the L_1 norm but what do you mean by 'C([a,b]) is endowed by the sup norm' that's only valid if we use the infinity norm, right?

So you're saying that is should be:

\left| \left| \int_a^t \frac{(t-s)^{n-1}}{(n-1)!}\ \mbox{d}s\ \right| \right| _{\infty}
  13. Nov 23, 2008 #12
    In your assignment it says "calculate the norm in the Banach space...". The space C[a,b] with the L^1 norm is not a Banach space, and so if you take this norm the space BL(C[a,b]) is not a Banach space either. This should imply that they meant the supremum norm (and in fact, like Pere correctly noted, unless explicitly said otherwise the space C[a,b] is taken with the supremum norm).
  14. Nov 23, 2008 #13
    So the expression below is wrong?

\left| \left| \int_a^t \frac{(t-s)^{n-1}}{(n-1)!}\ \mbox{d}s\ \right| \right| _{\infty}

Then what should it be?
    Last edited: Nov 23, 2008
  15. Nov 23, 2008 #14
    This is correct; you just need to evaluate the integral and take the [itex]\sup_{t\in[a,b]}[/itex]
  16. Nov 23, 2008 #15
    Indeed the answer is deduced from this expression but how do you prove that:

||J^nf||\leq||J^n\underline 1||
    [/itex] ?
  17. Nov 23, 2008 #16
    For any f with ||f||<=1, you can bound ||f(s)|| by 1, and you get what I wrote.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?