1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Bounded sequences

1. Jan 15, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    how do show whether the following sequences are bounded?
    1) {an}=sqrt(n)/1000
    2) {an}=(-2n^2)/(4n^2 -1)
    3) {an}=n/(2^n)
    4) {an}=(ncos(npi))/2^n

2. Relevant equations
    i have to show whether the sequences are bounded by a number but i dont know how to find that number. for part (4) i have to use the sandwich theorem.

3. The attempt at a solution
    1) it's not bounded since it will continue to increase to infinity.
    but i dont know how to do the rest. can someone help please?
    thank you very much
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 15, 2008 #2
    If a sequence (a_n) is bounded then there exists an M > 0 such that |a_n| (< or =) M. On the other hand if a sequence is unbounded then for all M > 0 there exists an N such that if n > N, |a_n|> M.

Now, if I give you a number M can you show that each sequence will either (a) never exceed or (2) eventually exceed M? Think of a specific example first such as M = 100. Can, for instance, the first sequence ever exceed 100? What value of N would guarantee it?
    Last edited: Jan 15, 2008
  4. Jan 15, 2008 #3
    oh okay
    so for 1) the sequence will never go below 0 for all n so it is bounded right?
  5. Jan 15, 2008 #4
    oh sorry
    then it is not bounded
  6. Jan 15, 2008 #5
    For (2) and (3) replace n with x and think of them as functions. Do they achieve maximums/minimums? Do they have limits as x (i.e. n) -> infinity? For (4) use the fact that |cos(n pi)| = 1 for all integers n, and do the same.
    Last edited: Jan 15, 2008
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?