Bounds of a Fourier Transform

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the wave function in position space using a given wave function in momentum space that is bounded by positive constants. The speaker asks about the shape of the wave function between the bounds and what steps to take in calculating it. The other person mentions starting from a specific equation and integrating an exponential function to find the unbounded wave function in position space. They also suggest staying in exponential form for easier integration.
NickCouture
If I have a wave function given to me in momentum space, bounded by constants, and I have to find the wave function in position space, when taking the Fourier transform, what will be my bounds in position space?

Physics news on Phys.org
What do you mean by "bounded by constants"?

blue_leaf77 said:
What do you mean by "bounded by constants"?
p is found from -ϒ+p_0 to ϒ+p_0 where ϒ and p_0 are positive constants.

So, your wavefunction is strictly bound in momentum space. But what is the exact shape of it in between those boundaries?

blue_leaf77 said:
So, your wavefunction is strictly bound in momentum space. But what is the exact shape of it in between those boundaries?
It is equal to another constant, C, between those bounds

Which means the momentum space wavefunction forms a rectangle of height C and width 2Y. And you want to calculate its position space version, do you know where you should start from? Or have you even got your result?

blue_leaf77 said:
Which means the momentum space wavefunction forms a rectangle of height C and width 2Y. And you want to calculate its position space version, do you know where you should start from? Or have you even got your result?
I've normalized the wave function in momentum space and I've started taking the Fourier transform of the normalized function over the same bounds given above. It does not look like I'm going in the right direction.

What function do you get in position space? Is it even bound at all?

blue_leaf77 said:
What function do you get in position space? Is it even bound at all?
It gives me 1/√(2ϒ)

Is that the wavefunction in position space you have calculated? If yes, then you have certainly made a mistake. It will be helpful if you can provide your work so that we can find where you have made the mistake.

blue_leaf77 said:
Is that the wavefunction in position space you have calculated? If yes, then you have certainly made a mistake. It will be helpful if you can provide your work so that we can find where you have made the mistake.
Oh I'm sorry that was my answer for momentum space. In position space I haven't found an answer yet.

You start from
$$
\psi(x) = \frac{1}{\sqrt{2\pi \hbar}} \int_{-\infty}^{\infty}\phi(p) e^{ipx/\hbar} dp = \frac{1}{\sqrt{2\pi \hbar}} \int_{p_0-Y}^{p_0+Y} \frac{1}{\sqrt{2Y}} e^{ipx/\hbar} dp
$$
How will you execute the next step?

blue_leaf77 said:
You start from
$$
\psi(x) = \frac{1}{\sqrt{2\pi \hbar}} \int_{-\infty}^{\infty}\phi(p) e^{ipx/\hbar} dp = \frac{1}{\sqrt{2\pi \hbar}} \int_{p_0-Y}^{p_0+Y} \frac{1}{\sqrt{2Y}} e^{ipx/\hbar} dp
$$
How will you execute the next step?
Yes that's what I have, I then compute the integral?

NickCouture said:
Yes that's what I have, I then compute the integral?
Yes of course. In the end you should find that the wavefunction in position space is unbounded.

blue_leaf77 said:
Yes of course. In the end you should find that the wavefunction in position space is unbounded.
would it be useful to change my exponential into the form cos(theta)+isin(theta)?

It is easier to stay in exponential form, do you know how to integrate an exponential function?

blue_leaf77 said:
It is easier to stay in exponential form, do you know how to integrate an exponential function?
Yes. Thank you for your help!

What is the Fourier Transform?

The Fourier Transform is a mathematical operation that decomposes a function into its constituent frequencies, allowing us to analyze the frequency components of a signal or function.

What is the Bounds of the Fourier Transform?

The Bounds of the Fourier Transform refer to the range of frequencies that can be represented by the transform. The lower bound is typically 0, representing the DC or constant component, while the upper bound is determined by the sampling rate or maximum frequency present in the signal.

What is the Nyquist Frequency and why is it important?

The Nyquist Frequency is the maximum frequency that can be accurately represented by the Fourier Transform. It is equal to half of the sampling rate and is important because any frequencies above this limit will be aliased, or folded back into the frequency range below the Nyquist Frequency, causing errors in the analysis.

How does the Bounds of the Fourier Transform affect signal processing?

The Bounds of the Fourier Transform determine the range of frequencies that can be accurately analyzed and processed. If the frequencies of interest are outside of this range, they may be distorted or lost in the analysis, leading to errors in signal processing.

What is the relationship between the Bounds of the Fourier Transform and the time-domain signal?

The Bounds of the Fourier Transform are directly related to the time-domain signal through the sampling rate. A higher sampling rate results in a wider frequency range and a more accurate representation of the time-domain signal in the frequency domain.