Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Bounds on 2HD potential

1. Jan 29, 2015 #1
    Hi all,

I found that any two Higgs doublets potential should be bounded from below - at ## V \to - \infty ##. I want to know why this bound is assumed or what does it mean ?

Also are there any textbooks to learn how to make this bound on any other general potential and so to constrain the potential's parameters ?

Best.

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 29, 2015 #2

Orodruin

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

If the potential is not bounded from below, your theory has no ground state.

4. Jan 29, 2015 #3

ChrisVer

Gold Member

The bounds are obtained just by looking at the potential...
    For example [itex]V=a |\phi|^2 [/itex] is bounded for [itex]a>0[/itex] and unbound for [itex]a<0[/itex]. If you draw the potential you will see that.
    In case you have more than one fields, I guess one has to look at each direction independently ... So the potential for two Higgses could be described by a sheet [itex]V(\phi_1, \phi_2)[/itex] on the space of [itex]\phi_1, \phi_2[/itex], if it's bounded it means that it can't go to [itex]-\infty[/itex] anywhere.

If there was no bound then even if you had a vacuum at some potential's minimum, this vacuum would not be stable. At some point the field would "escape" the well, and then start rolling down forever.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook