Does a Pulled Air-Filled Rubber Ball Sink?

• Thread starter thomasmeehan
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Ball Rubber
In summary, if a rubber ball filled with air is attached to a cord and pulled underwater, it will collapse under pressure. Whether it will eventually sink to the bottom depends on its material and density. For example, steel spheroids like the USS Thresher will sink when the water pressure exceeds its design pressure. Liquid carbon dioxide, which is denser than water at great depths, can potentially be stored on the sea floor. Dolphins are able to efficiently dive deep by collapsing their lungs and becoming negatively buoyant.
thomasmeehan
If a rubber ball is fill with air, attached to a cord and pulled under water, I assumed it collapses under pressure at some rate. The question is, will it at some point lose enough bouyancy to sink to the bottom?

Physics news on Phys.org
If a rubber ball is fill with air, attached to a cord and pulled under water, I assumed it collapses under pressure at some rate.

yes

The question is, will it at some point lose enough bouyancy to sink to the bottom?

only if the material is denser than water...

Prolate steel spheroids, like the USS Thresher, will collapse when the water pressure exceeds its design pressure, and sink to the bottom. See

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USS_Thresher_(SSN-593)

Bob S

Liquid carbon dioxide is more compressible than water, and undergoes a http://www.lbl.gov/Science-Articles/Archive/sea-carb-bish.html:
"At great depths, CO2 is denser than sea water, and it may be possible to store it on the bottom as liquid or deposits of icy hydrates," Bishop explains. "At depths easy to reach with pipes, CO2 is buoyant; it has to be diluted and dispersed so it will dissolve."

I heard once that dolphins use this to be able to efficiently dive deep. They go deep enough that their lungs collapse sufficiently that they become negatively buoyant and can just drop down to their desired depth.

DaleSpam said:
I heard once that dolphins use this to be able to efficiently dive deep. They go deep enough that their lungs collapse sufficiently that they become negatively buoyant and can just drop down to their desired depth.

Just to clarify and make sure I understand, upon having their lungs collapse, the reason they are able to sink lower is because they are more dense than the water under them.

Am I right?

Yes, although I just vaguely remember reading that in a pop-sci journal so it is not a reliable reference or anything.

What is a pulled air-filled rubber ball?

A pulled air-filled rubber ball is a rubber ball that has been stretched or pulled out of its original shape. This can happen due to external forces or pressure.

Does a pulled air-filled rubber ball sink?

The answer to this question depends on the density of the ball and the density of the liquid it is placed in. If the density of the ball is greater than the density of the liquid, it will sink. If the density of the ball is less than the density of the liquid, it will float.

Why does a pulled air-filled rubber ball sink or float?

The density of an object determines whether it will sink or float. If the density of the object is greater than the density of the liquid it is placed in, it will sink. If the density of the object is less than the density of the liquid, it will float.

How can you calculate the density of a pulled air-filled rubber ball?

To calculate the density of a pulled air-filled rubber ball, you will need to measure its mass and volume. Then, divide the mass by the volume to get the density. The units for density are typically grams per cubic centimeter (g/cm3) or kilograms per cubic meter (kg/m3).

Can the density of a pulled air-filled rubber ball change?

Yes, the density of a pulled air-filled rubber ball can change if its mass or volume changes. For example, if the ball is stretched or compressed, its volume will change, which will affect its density. Additionally, if the ball is filled with more or less air, its mass will change, which will also affect its density.