1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Bouyant force plastic tube

1. Apr 10, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A plastic tube has a cross-sectional area of 5.00 cm^2. The tube is shaped sort of like a "U". The left arm is filled with water until the right arm of length 0.800 m is full of water. The right arm is then sealed with a cap that won't pop off until a force of 9.8 N is applied. What total height of water in the long arm (left arm) will put the seal on the verge of popping?

2. Relevant equations
    F = ρ*V*g (Force = density * volume * acceleration from gravity)

3. The attempt at a solution
    Trying to solve for the height h, I used the equation 9.8 N = (5.0 cm2)(1/10000 m2/cm2)(h)(1 kg/m3)(9.81 m/s2)
    I'm using the value 1 kg/m3 as the density of water and 9.81 m/s2 as the acceleration due to gravity.

Isolating h, I got 1998 m, which seems way to large. I must be doing something wrong. The units work out though. I end up with meters. But the number seems way too large.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 10, 2014 #2
    Whoops I figured it out! I should be using a water density of 1000 kg/m^3!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted