What is the relationship between potential and kinetic energy?

In summary, a 8.0 kg bowling ball is rolled down a hill and has a speed of 7.42m/s at the bottom. The formula h=PE/mg can be used to find the height of the hill, but the initial potential energy (PE) is not given. However, since energy is conserved, the PE and KE (kinetic energy) at any point should add up to the same number. Therefore, we can use KE=PE to find the height of the hill.
Chann
I need help with this question.

An 8.0 kg bowling ball is rolled from the top of a hill. At the bottom of the hill, the ball is moving at a speed of 7.42m/s. What is the height of the hill?

Im trying to use h=PE/mg but i can't get PE with the given at top. May you guys help ? Please and thank youWait I think I got it I need a confirmation does KE=Pe ?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Chann said:
Wait I think I got it I need a confirmation does KE=Pe ?

Yes, since energy is always conserved, your PE and KE at any given point should always add up to the same number. For example, if you're at the top of a hill and not moving, you have only potential energy; that number would all be converted to kinetic energy if you were at the bottom of the hill. The bottom line is, you generally always have the same amount of energy (without taking things like friction into account).

1. How is the energy of a bowling ball calculated?

The energy of a bowling ball can be calculated using the formula E= 1/2 mv^2, where m is the mass of the ball and v is its velocity.

2. How does the energy of a bowling ball affect its speed?

The energy of a bowling ball directly affects its speed. The higher the energy, the faster the ball will travel. This is because the energy is converted into kinetic energy, which is responsible for the ball's motion.

3. What factors affect the energy of a bowling ball?

The energy of a bowling ball is affected by its mass, velocity, and the height at which it is released. Other factors such as air resistance and friction can also impact the energy of the ball.

4. Can the energy of a bowling ball be converted into other forms?

Yes, the energy of a bowling ball can be converted into other forms, such as sound and heat, upon impact with the pins. Some energy may also be lost due to friction and other external factors.

5. How can the energy of a bowling ball be increased?

The energy of a bowling ball can be increased by increasing its mass, velocity, or the height at which it is released. However, it is important to note that the energy must be within the legal limits set by bowling regulations.