Bowling ball help on small subpart

In summary, a 28 cm bowling ball with an initial velocity of 11 m/s and no rotation is slid down an alley with a coefficient of sliding friction of µ = 0.52. Using the equations for translational and rotational motion, the initial deceleration is calculated to be 5.096 m/s, and the initial angular acceleration is 91 rad/s^2. The time it takes for the ball to start rolling without slipping can be found by setting the rotational and translational speeds equal to each other, resulting in a time of 0.06 seconds. If the initial velocity had been 15.4 m/s, the time for the ball to start rolling without slipping would be 0.09 seconds.
rdn98
picture is included.

A bowling ball 28 cm in diameter is slid down an alley with which it has a coefficient of sliding friction of µ = 0.52. The ball has an initial velocity of 11 m/s and no rotation. g = 9.81 m/s2. Note: For a sphere Icm = (2/5)mr2.

a) What is the initial deceleration of the ball?
b) What is the initial angular acceleration of the ball?
c) How long does it take before the ball starts to roll without slipping?
d) If it had been moving 15.4 m/s initially, how long would it have taken the ball to start rolling without slipping?
---------------------------
Okay, I've gotten parts a and b, but I'm stuck on C. If I can get C, I can get D easily.

part a) Just did summation of forces in x direction =ma.
u*m*g=m*a
|a|=5.096 m/s

part b) Net torque=I*alpha
so u*m*g*r=(2/5)MR^2*alpha
alpha= 91 rad/sec^2

part c) Okay, this probably is simple to figure out, but I'm not seeing it. I have my initial deceleration and initial angular acceleration of the ball.
Ok, so what do I do to find the time before the ball starts rolling?

Attachments

• ball.gif
    ball.gif
    1 KB · Views: 463
Physics news on Phys.org
Originally posted by rdn98
part c) Okay, this probably is simple to figure out, but I'm not seeing it. I have my initial deceleration and initial angular acceleration of the ball.
Ok, so what do I do to find the time before the ball starts rolling?
What's the condition for rolling without slipping? The translational speed will decrease, and the rotational speed will increase, until that condition is met.

Um, the condition has something to do with friction? So the ball starts to roll when its greater than the force of friction against it?

Um, the condition has something to do with friction? So the ball starts to roll when its greater than the force of friction against it?
Well, yes, it has to do with friction: if there were no friction, the ball would never start rolling.

I have no idea what your second sentence means.[b(]

Consider this: as long as the surface of the ball keeps sliding against the floor, friction will act to slow it down.

Take a look at this thread for a hint: https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=9572&highlight=rolling+slipping

I already knew that the speed of the ball surface with respect to the ground is zero.

But I'm still clueless as to how to set up my calculations. Please excuse my questioning. I'm not a physics whiz like you doc al. :smile:

The force of friction on the ball exerts torque about the center of rotation. This causes the ball to spin in addition to slowing it down.

You should be able to determine the rotational speed of the ball as a function of time.

You should also be able to determine the linear speed of the ball as a function of time.

When the rotational speed of the ball * the radius of the ball = the linear speed, then the surface of the ball is moving at the same speed as the ball, and it stops slipping.

I already knew that the speed of the ball surface with respect to the ground is zero.
Well... that's only true when it rolls without slipping. But that's the secret. Now express that mathematically. The speed of the center of the ball (translational) is V. The speed of the bottom of the ball, with respect to the center, is ωr (going backwards). So then, the speed of the bottom of the ball with respect to the ground is: V - ωr. Setting that equal to zero is the condition for rolling without slipping. So... when V = ωr is the point where it rolls without slipping.

Does that make sense?

Lol. Okay, I knew I had to use that equation, I should have said that earlier. I feel like I have all the pieces in front of me, but just putting it all together is the obstacle.

One thing though, should I use one of those constant angular acceleration equations? Thats what I'm thinking I got to do.

Last edited:
Yup.

Ok. You know that v=vo+at

well, v=w*r
and w=alpha*t

substitute all that into above equation, and solve for time.

Same idea for part d, just use different vo.

1. How do I choose the right weight for my bowling ball?

The general rule of thumb is to choose a bowling ball that is approximately 10% of your body weight. However, this can vary based on your strength and bowling style. It is best to try out a few different weights to determine which one feels most comfortable for you.

2. What is the difference between symmetrical and asymmetrical bowling balls?

Symmetrical bowling balls have a consistent weight distribution, while asymmetrical bowling balls have an uneven weight distribution. Asymmetrical balls are typically better for hooking and creating a stronger reaction on the lanes, while symmetrical balls are better for straighter shots and spares.

3. How does the coverstock affect the performance of a bowling ball?

The coverstock is the outer layer of the bowling ball and can greatly impact its performance. Different coverstock materials, such as plastic, urethane, and reactive resin, have different levels of friction and hook potential. It is important to choose a coverstock that matches your bowling style and the lane conditions you typically bowl on.

4. Should I get a custom-drilled bowling ball?

If you are serious about bowling and want the best fit for your hand, a custom-drilled bowling ball is recommended. This ensures that the holes are perfectly sized and positioned for your hand, which can improve your grip and control of the ball.

5. How can I maintain my bowling ball's performance?

To maintain your bowling ball's performance, it is important to clean it regularly with a bowling ball cleaner. You should also avoid leaving your ball in extreme temperatures, as this can alter its performance. Additionally, it is recommended to resurface your ball every 60-100 games to restore its initial surface texture.