Solving the Bowling Ball Problem: Find Final Speed

In summary: Thanks!In summary, the bowling ball moves horizontally with a speed of 8m/s and is not rotating. It slides for a time and distance before it begins to roll without slipping. The coefficient of friction between the ball and the floor is .06.
zekester
A bowling ball is thrown such that at the instant it touches the floore it is moving horizontally with a speed of 8m/s and is not rotating. it slides for a time and distance before it begins to roll without slipping. The coefficient of friction between the ball and the floor is .06. What is the final speed of the ball?

I know how to find the horizontal acceleration but I don't know where to go from there.

Any hints?

Physics news on Phys.org
There's an hard way and an easy way.
The easy way is to use conservation of angular momentum.

JMD

Originally posted by nbo10
The easy way is to use conservation of angular momentum.
Angular momentum is not conserved. (The friction exerts a torque.)

Angular momentum is conserved about a point, you have to find the correct point.
and if your looking for the FINAL speed, it's going to be zero.

JMD

Last edited:
Angular momentum is conserved about a point, you have to find the correct point.
and if your looking for the FINAL speed, it's going to be zero.

Aren't those two statements contradictory? If the final speed is 0, then the angular momentum is 0 which is not true while it's rolling.

Actually once it gets to pure roling without sliding, the friction is no longer a factor (that's the whole point of the wheel!).

ive got a few formulas here:
alpha = (5 * coeff friction * g)/2R
omega = (5 * coeff friction * g * t)/2R

the 8 m/s is beginning translation motion right? but i can't figure out where to begin. I've gone through a few sheets of paper, and i don't think he gave us enough to start with.

okay, using 8 = R*omega, i was able to find a time. i did 8 = R (5 * coeff friction *g * t)/2r. i ended up with a time of 5.4 seconds. but I am stuck now.

Last edited:
heres what i did:
alpha = (5 * mu * g) 2*R
alpha = a/r, so a/r = (5 * mu * g)/ 2*R. with this i ended up with an a of 1.47.
i than used this 1.47 in omega = initial omega(which is zero because it was not rotating) + alpha * time.
i found time using the formula:
t = 2 * initial velocity/7 * mu * g, which equals 3.89 s.

than i went with v/r = 0 + 1.47 * t/R
the r's cancel and i ended up with a final velocity of 5.7 m/s.
have i done everything correct?

correct.. You can also use conservation of Angular momentum, about the point where the ball makes contact with the floor.

When the ball first starts
[itex]l=mrv_0
[/itex]
when the ball starts to roll without sliping
[itex]l=I \omega [/itex]
[itex]I = \frac{2}{5}mr^2 + mr^2 [/itex]
for rolling without slipping you can find
[itex]\omega = \frac{v}{r} [/itex]

and you can solve these and find
[itex]v = \frac{5}{7}v_0
[/itex]
Which is 5.7 m/s

I might have to edit this to get the LaTex to work.

JMD

Last edited:
Originally posted by HallsofIvy
Aren't those two statements contradictory? If the final speed is 0, then the angular momentum is 0 which is not true while it's rolling.

They are contradictory. I've been ill with the flu and still not thinking clearly all the time. The final speed won't be zero.

JMD

Originally posted by nbo10
correct.. You can also use conservation of Angular momentum, about the point where the ball makes contact with the floor.
Excellent. Hadn't thought of that.

1. What is the Bowling Ball Problem?

The Bowling Ball Problem refers to the physics problem of finding the final speed of a bowling ball after it is released from a certain height and travels down a ramp.

2. What factors affect the final speed of the bowling ball?

The final speed of the bowling ball is affected by the initial height of the ball, the angle and length of the ramp, the mass and shape of the ball, and the friction between the ball and the ramp.

3. How do you calculate the final speed of the bowling ball?

To calculate the final speed of the bowling ball, you need to use the equation Vf = √(2gh), where Vf is the final speed, g is the acceleration due to gravity (9.8 m/s²), and h is the height from which the ball is released. You also need to take into account any potential energy lost due to friction.

4. What units should be used for the calculations?

The units used in the calculation should be consistent, such as meters for distance, seconds for time, kilograms for mass, and meters per second for speed. It is important to convert all units to their base units before performing the calculation.

5. Can the final speed of the bowling ball be greater than the initial height?

No, according to the laws of physics, the final speed of the bowling ball cannot be greater than the initial height from which it is released. This is because the ball loses potential energy as it moves down the ramp and some energy is also lost due to friction.