1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Bowling ball problem

1. Dec 9, 2003 #1
    A bowling ball is thrown such that at the instant it touches the floore it is moving horizontally with a speed of 8m/s and is not rotating. it slides for a time and distance before it begins to roll without slipping. The coefficient of friction between the ball and the floor is .06. What is the final speed of the ball?

I know how to find the horizontal acceleration but I don't know where to go from there.

Any hints?

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 9, 2003 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Are you not given the mass or weight of the ball? Without knowing that you can't do anything with the coefficient of friction. If you do know that, you can calculate the force acting on the part of the ball touching the floor and so the angular acceleration. That should tell you how long it will take (and how far the ball will go) until the ball is rolling without sliding. "Friction force times distance" will tell you how much work friction did and so how much kinetic energy has been removed. The combination or linear and rotational kinetic energies equal to what's left should tell you what the balls speed is after it starts rolling.

4. Dec 9, 2003 #3

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

You posted this same question in the general physics section. Please check my response there.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?