1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Bowling ball rotation

1. Mar 24, 2004 #1
    a bowling ball is given an initial speed vo on an alley such that it initially slides without rolling. The coefficient of friction between ball and alley is u.

find the speed of the ball's center of mass vCM at the time pure rolling motion occurs.

i used (1/2)mvo^2=(1/2)mVCM^2 + (1/2)Iw^2

i got vo^2=(7/5)v^2 which is wrong.

how do i solve this problem?
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 24, 2004 #2

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

It looks like you are assuming that energy is conserved. Why?
  4. Mar 25, 2004 #3
    Well, I think the friction must have consumed certain energy too. However, I have no idea how to incorporate it into the equation.
  5. Mar 25, 2004 #4

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

There are several ways to attack this problem. Here's one way:

Picture what's happening. The ball starts with pure translational motion. The friction slows the translational motion, and starts the ball rotating. So write equations for the translational motion and for the rotational motion, due to the friction. The ball will slow down (but increase rotational speed) until the speed is just right to stop slipping.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?