1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Bowling ball with air resistance problem

1. Apr 25, 2005 #1
    A 22-cm-diameter bowling ball has a terminal speed of 85m/s. What is its mass.

I get F=M(9.8). But then i dont know where to go from there or what to do with the 22 cm diameter :confused:

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 25, 2005 #2

OlderDan

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

What relationships do you know between terminal speed and the size and density of an object, and/or properties of air?

4. Apr 25, 2005 #3
    nothing, that is the only info givin.

5. Apr 25, 2005 #4

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

I believe Dan was asking about what you know (or should know) about air drag and what affects it. :smile:

Here's a hint to get you started: For high speed objects traveling through air, the drag force is proportional to the speed squared and depends on the shape of the object (treat the ball as a sphere). Look up quadratic drag.

Edit: The drag also depends on the size of the object; that's where the diameter comes in.

Last edited: Apr 25, 2005
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?