What Is the Average Acceleration of an Arrow Shot from a Bow?

• Thread starter courtrigrad
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the average acceleration of an arrow being shot from a bow. The starting velocity is known to be 200 ft/sec and the time it takes to travel a distance of 2.0 ft is given as 1/100 second. To calculate the average acceleration, the equation a = (v2-v1)/(t2-t1) is used, with the assumption that the starting speed is 0. This results in an average acceleration of 20,000 ft/sec^2. Further concepts such as average force, work done by the arrow, and the arrow's flight trajectory are also mentioned.
courtrigrad
An arrow while being shot from a bow was accelerated over a distance of 2.0 ft. If its speed at the moment it left the bow was 200 ft/sec what was the average acceleration imparted by the bow? Justify any assumptions you need to make.

Ok so I know [itex] v_{0} = 200 \frac{ft}{sec} [/itex]. Also [itex] t = \frac{1}{100} [/itex] second. So would I use the equation [itex] x = x_{0}+v_{x}_{0}t + \frac{1}{2}a_{x}t^{2} [/itex]? Or [itex] 2 = v_{x}_{0}t + \frac{1}{2}a_{x}t^{2} [/itex] or [itex] 2 = 2 + \frac{1}{2}a_{x}(\frac{1}{100})^{2} [/itex]? I don't think this makes any sense. Maybe I need to make some assumptions?

Thanks

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Average acceleration is just change in velocity over change in time. You already have everything you need, but I'll give you a hint with your assumption: What's your starting speed?

Indeed, [itex] \overline a = \frac{v_{2}-v_{1}}{t_{2}-t_{1}} = \frac{\Delta v}{\Delta t} [/itex]. So I assume that the starting speed is 0. So we have [itex] \frac{200}{\frac{1}{100}} = 20,000 \frac{ft}{sec^{2}} [/itex]. Is this correct?

Yup, no need for messy position formulas. If you really want to test your knowledge of concepts(and if you've covered this material yet), what's the average force exerted by bow onto the arrow? What's the work done by the arrow? Where does the arrow land, and how long is it in flight?

1. How do bows and arrows work?

Bows and arrows work by using the stored energy from the bent bow limbs to propel the arrow forward. When the bowstring is pulled back, it stores potential energy in the limbs. When released, this energy is transferred to the arrow, causing it to fly forward.

2. What materials are used to make bows and arrows?

Traditionally, bows were made from wood, such as yew, elm, or ash. Today, bows can also be made from fiberglass, carbon fiber, or aluminum. Arrows are typically made from wood, aluminum, or carbon fiber, with feather or plastic vanes at the end for stabilization.

3. What are the different types of bows?

There are several types of bows, including longbows, recurve bows, and compound bows. Longbows are traditional, simple bows that are typically made from a single piece of wood. Recurve bows have curved limbs that store more energy, allowing for a more powerful shot. Compound bows use a system of cables and pulleys to help the archer hold the string at full draw and release with less effort.

4. How do you aim a bow and arrow?

Aiming a bow and arrow is similar to aiming a gun. The archer should keep both eyes open and line up the arrow with the target, using the arrow rest and sights on the bow to guide the shot. Practice and proper form are important for accurate aiming.

5. What are some safety precautions when using bows and arrows?

When using bows and arrows, it is important to always follow proper safety precautions. This includes never pointing a loaded bow at another person, always checking arrows for damage before shooting, and using a proper backstop to prevent arrows from going too far. It is also important to have proper training and supervision when first learning to use bows and arrows.