1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Box and Spring Question Pt. II

1. Aug 25, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    The green block is falling at a speed of 20 m/s and is 7 meters above the spring. The spring constant is 4155 N/m, to the nearest tenth of a cm how far is the spring compressed?

The answer to that part is 10.6cm

The next part is what I'm having difficulty with...

In the previous problem to the nearest hundredth of a meter to what height will the block rise after it hits and leaves the spring?

2. Relevant equations

V= (fx/m)^.5 which is the exity velocity I think. How will I find the maximum height?
  2. jcsd
  3. Aug 25, 2008 #2

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

The question is actually a little simpler than you're making it out to be. If we assume that energy is conserved then the previous part of the question is irrelevant. All you need to know is that when the block is 7 meters above the spring it is travelling at 20m/s. What do you know about the velocity, and consequently the kinetic energy of the block at it's maximum height?
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?