How Far Will the Spring Compress When a Box Falls on It?

In summary, a 2.14 kg block is dropped from a height of 43.6 cm onto a spring of force constant 18.6 N/cm. The maximum distance the spring will be compressed can be found using the equation U+K=0, where mgh+(1/2)mv(0)^2+(1/2)kx^2=0. By solving for x, it can be determined that the spring will be compressed by 13.9 cm. However, the book's answer of 11.1 cm is correct because the initial and final velocity is actually zero, not 2.92m/s. The total distance dropped should be used in the energy conservation equation.
DeadFishFactory

Homework Statement

A 2.14 kg block is dropped from a height of 43.6 cm onto a spring of force constant 18.6 N/cm. Find the maximum distance the spring will be compressed.

I know that the mass is 2.14 kg, the force constant of the spring is K=1860 N/m.

I assume the final velocity, the final height of the block after being dropped, and the final distance the spring will be compressed are 0.

Homework Equations

U+K=0
v^2=v(0)^2+2AS

The Attempt at a Solution

To find the initial velocity, I use the constant acceleration equation:

0=V(0)^2-19.7(.436); V(0)=2.92m/s

Since I know (or assume) a conservative force, I use the equation:

U+K=0

mgh+(1/2)mv(0)^2+(1/2)kx^2=0

2.14(-9.8)(.436)-.5(2.14)(2.92)^2+(1/2)(1860)x^2=0

x=.139 m = 13.9 cm

The book got 11.1 cm. Can anyone tell me what I did wrong and how to do the problem correctly? Must help is appreciated. Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
The initial (and final) velocity is zero. What you found is the speed at which the block hits the spring. That would be OK, but then you messed up the energy conservation.

It will be much easier if you just stuck with energy conservation from start to finish. Hint: the total distance dropped is not just 43.6 cm.

Your solution seems to be correct. The book may have used a slightly different value for the gravitational acceleration (9.81 m/s^2 instead of 9.8 m/s^2) or may have rounded off intermediate calculations, leading to a slightly different final answer. As a scientist, it is important to understand that there can sometimes be slight variations in answers due to different assumptions or rounding off of values. As long as your approach and calculations are correct, your answer should be considered valid. It may be helpful to double check your calculations and see if there are any minor differences that could account for the discrepancy.

1. How does a box falling on a spring affect the spring's tension?

When a box falls on a spring, the spring will compress due to the force of the box's weight. This compression increases the tension in the spring, as it tries to return to its original shape.

2. What factors affect the distance the spring will compress when a box falls on it?

The distance the spring will compress depends on the weight of the box, the stiffness of the spring, and the height from which the box falls. Heavier boxes, stiffer springs, and higher falls will result in a greater compression distance.

3. Can a box falling on a spring cause the spring to break?

It is possible for a box falling on a spring to cause the spring to break if the weight and height of the fall exceed the spring's weight limit. Additionally, repeated falls from a significant height can weaken the spring and eventually lead to its breakage.

4. How does the speed of the box falling affect the spring's compression?

The speed of the box falling onto the spring does not directly affect the spring's compression. However, a faster fall will result in a greater impact force on the spring, which can lead to a greater compression distance and potential damage to the spring.

5. Is the compression of the spring affected by the surface on which the box falls?

The surface on which the box falls can affect the spring's compression to some extent. A softer surface, such as a mattress, will absorb some of the impact force and result in a smaller compression distance compared to a harder surface like concrete. However, the stiffness of the spring and weight of the box will still be the main factors determining the compression distance.