1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Box Normalization

1. May 20, 2009 #1
    Question

Free particle in 1D where V(x) = 0. There is a general boundary condition [tex]\psi(x+L)=e^{i\theta}\psi(x)[/tex] used for box normalization which has arbitrary phase theta. [tex]E=k^2\hbar/(2m)[/tex] is true for free particle energies.

Attempt

Comparing with the condition [tex]\psi(x+L)=\psi(x)[/tex] I don't see how I will get different energies E since L is still the maximum wavelength, therefore [tex]\lambda = L/n = 2\pi/k[/tex] or [tex]k = 2n\pi/L[/tex] for n = 1, 2, ...; and then energies [tex]E_n[/tex] can be computed.

How do I get theta dependence into the energies for the case [tex]\psi(x+L)=e^{i\theta}\psi(x)[/tex]? Or maybe the better question is do I need theta dependence in the energies for a correct solution? Shouldn't the phase of a wave function have no physical significance?

Given the k above is true then my normalized eigenfunctions would be [tex]\psi_n(x) = L^{-1/2} \exp(i(2\pi n/L)x+i\theta)[/tex]? ...But I'm not sure that k is correct.

Can anyone clear this up for me? Much thanks.

Last edited: May 20, 2009
  2. jcsd
  3. May 27, 2009 #2

Hao

The phase is arbitrary, but that does not mean that you can set it to zero when applying the boundary condition.

It may help to consider the physical meaning of the boundary condition above, which occurs when you have translational symmetry in crystal lattices (Bloch waves).

http://www.iue.tuwien.ac.at/phd/smirnov/node41.html

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook