How can I solve this box of mass work problem quickly?

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving a box sliding along a horizontal surface and the calculation of the average frictional force acting on it. The first part of the problem involves finding the magnitude of the frictional force using the change in kinetic energy and work done. The second part involves determining the work done by a person pushing the box to a new position. The conversation also includes some confusion and clarification about the correct answer and method to solve the problem.
physicsCU
Work Problem Need Help Fast

A box of mass m is sliding along a horizontal surface.

The box leaves position x = 0 with speed v_0. The box is slowed by a constant frictional force until it comes to rest at position x = x_1.

Find F_f, the magnitude of the average frictional force that acts on the box. (Since you don't know the coefficient of friction, don't include it in your answer.)
Express the frictional force in terms of m, v_0, and x_1.

I have no idea what to do. I know I need to find the change in kinetic energy, which is -.5*m*v_0

The work done is -.5*m*v_0*x_1 (I think).

But I have no idea what to do to find the force.

After the box comes to rest at position x_1, a person starts pushing the box, giving it a speed v_1.

When the box reaches position x_2 (where x_2 > x_1), how much work W_p has the person done on the box?
Assume that the box reaches x_2 after the person has accelerated it from rest to speed v_1.
Express the work in terms of m, v_0, x_1, x_2, and v_1.

That is the second part of the problem. I have a feeling once I have the first part, the second part won't be terrible.

But other than the first part I have started, any suggestions would be great!

I would like to get this problem done tonight, so time is of the essence.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
The theoreom of variation of KE will do the trick for u...

Daniel.

I tried (-.5*m*v_0)/(x_1), but that is not right.

Why not?

I can only telly that your answer is incorrect and advise you to follow my first advice...

Daniel.

But is my reasoning correct? Because somewhere I am wrong, I am trying to find that step.

I didn't look at your reasoning.However,i don't see whay you're reluctant when it comes to mine...The first part offers you a model/a method for handling the second.

Daniel.

I am sorry,

I had the right answer, I never read that the answer was supposed to be magnitude, i had a negative sign in there.

What about the missing square of the initial velocity?

Daniel.

I got that in there too after I realized the magnitude part.

I wish there was a way you could assure me that the result (nonetheless correct) was obtained through a "clean" method.

Daniel.

I promise that it was. i talked with two people across the hall who were also working on the problem, and we worked on it together. it turns out that when we talked about it, i had that negative problem.

1. How do you determine the mass of an object using the box of mass work problem?

In order to determine the mass of an object using the box of mass work problem, you will need to know the weight of the box with the object inside and the weight of the box without the object. Then, you can subtract the weight of the box without the object from the weight of the box with the object to find the weight of the object itself. This weight can then be converted to mass using the formula F=ma, where F is the weight, m is the mass, and a is the acceleration due to gravity (9.8 m/s^2).

2. What is the purpose of the box of mass work problem in science?

The box of mass work problem is used in science to help determine the mass of an object by measuring its weight. This can be useful in many different fields, including physics, chemistry, and engineering. It is a simple and practical way to measure mass without the need for expensive or specialized equipment.

3. Can the box of mass work problem be used to measure the mass of any object?

The box of mass work problem can be used to measure the mass of most objects, as long as they can fit inside the box and the weight can be accurately measured. However, this method may not be as precise for objects with very small or very large masses, and other methods may be more suitable in those cases.

4. How does the box of mass work problem take into account the weight of the box itself?

The box of mass work problem takes into account the weight of the box itself by measuring the weight of the box with and without the object inside. By subtracting the weight of the box without the object from the weight of the box with the object, we can isolate the weight of the object and determine its mass.

5. Are there any limitations to using the box of mass work problem?

There are a few limitations to using the box of mass work problem. Firstly, the accuracy of the measurement depends on the precision of the weight measurements. Additionally, this method may not work well for objects with very small or very large masses. It also assumes that the acceleration due to gravity is constant, which may not be the case in all situations. Finally, it may not be suitable for objects with irregular shapes or those that cannot fit inside the box.