Box-on-incline physics problem

• Thread starter jahz
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Physics
In summary, the person is stuck on a seemingly easy box-on-incline physics problem. They've figured out that "h-min" is just an application of a simple trig expansion for tangent, but every path they've taken always leads to a seemingly dead end. Someone helps them out, and they are finally able to prove their theory.
jahz
I'm stuck on a seemingly easy box-on-incline physics problem. It's a typical incline with a surface with friction and one box; gravity, the normal force ("n"), the frictional force ("f"), and another force "h" that acts on the box. The "h" force is applied horizontally on the box, from the left. The box is in static equilibrium.

The problem asks us to show that "h-min" = m*g*tan(theta - "theta-s"). "theta-s" is the maximum angle at which the box can remain still; if the "h" force did not exist and the angle of incline goes beyond this point, the box will slip. The "h" force is supposed to keep this box in place, and "h-min" is the minimum amount of force necessary to keep the box from slipping when the angle of incline is beyond "theta-s".

What I've proved so far is that

"h-min" * sin(theta) + m*g*cos(theta) = n

and

"h-min" * cos(theta) + mu*(n) = m*g*sin(theta)

and

mu = tan(theta-s).

But I can't seem to find "h-min" -- all those darned sines and cosines and tangents are getting in my way. What I've figured out so far is that

m*g*tan(theta - "theta-s") = m*g*(tan(theta) - tan("theta-s"))/(1 + tan(theta)*tan("theta-s"))

which is just an application of a simple trig expansion for tangent. I know that I can go on from there, simplifying things and such, but every path I've taken always leads me to a seemingly dead end - I can't find anything left to simplify, but I still haven't proved anything. Can someone help me please?

Physics news on Phys.org
jahz said:
What I've proved so far is that

"h-min" * sin(theta) + m*g*cos(theta) = n

and

"h-min" * cos(theta) + mu*(n) = m*g*sin(theta)

and

mu = tan(theta-s).
Substituting your first and third equations into the second should bring you to
[tex]h_{min}=w\frac{\sin\theta - \tan\theta_s\cos \theta}{\cos\theta+\tan\theta_s\sin\theta}[/tex]
multiply with
[tex]\cos\theta_s[/tex]
top and bottom and use
[tex]-\sin\theta=\sin-\theta[/tex]
and viola, the demon have been concered - with some help though!

andrevh- this is off the point and I hope I'm not being condescending but whenever I see "viola" (or occasionally "wallah") I can't help but wonder whether it is an intentional joke or the person is simply misspelling "voila"!

1. What is a box-on-incline physics problem?

A box-on-incline physics problem is a type of physics problem that involves a box or object placed on an inclined plane or ramp. The goal of these problems is to determine the forces acting on the box and its motion along the incline.

2. How do I solve a box-on-incline physics problem?

To solve a box-on-incline physics problem, you will need to use the principles of Newton's laws of motion and the components of forces along the incline and perpendicular to the incline. You will also need to consider the effects of friction and the angle of the incline in your calculations.

3. What are the forces acting on the box in a box-on-incline physics problem?

The forces acting on the box in a box-on-incline physics problem include the force of gravity, the normal force from the incline, and the force of friction. The force of gravity acts downward, while the normal force acts perpendicular to the incline, and the force of friction acts parallel to the incline.

4. How does the angle of the incline affect the box-on-incline physics problem?

The angle of the incline can affect the box-on-incline physics problem by changing the magnitude and direction of the forces acting on the box. As the angle of the incline increases, the force of gravity acting down the incline increases, while the normal force and friction force decrease. This can result in changes in the acceleration and motion of the box.

5. What is the role of friction in a box-on-incline physics problem?

Friction plays a crucial role in a box-on-incline physics problem as it can either help or hinder the motion of the box. The force of friction acts parallel to the incline and can either oppose or assist the motion of the box depending on the direction of the force. In some cases, the force of friction may be negligible, but in others, it can significantly affect the acceleration and motion of the box.