Force Between Masses: Solving Physics Homework Questions

In summary, three blocks with masses of 3.9kg, 5.8kg, and 8.3kg are in contact with each other on a frictionless horizontal surface. A 413 N horizontal force is applied to the block with a mass of 3.9kg. The magnitude of the force between the blocks with masses of 5.8kg and 8.3kg is asked to be found, as well as the force between the blocks with masses of 3.9kg and 5.8kg. The homework equations F=ma and F=9.8m/s^2(m1+m2) can be used to solve this problem. The acceleration of the group of blocks is not
pleasehelpme3

Homework Statement

--F-->{3.9kg}{5.8kg}{8.3kg}

Three blocks are in contact with each other
on a frictionless horizontal surface. A 413 N
horizontal force is applied to the block with
mass of 3.9 kg as shown in the figure below.
The acceleration of gravity is 9.8 m/s2 .

d)What is the magnitude of the force between
the block with mass 5.8 kg and 8.3 kg?
Answer in units of N

e)What is the magnitude of the force between
the block with mass 3.9 kg and 5.8 kg?
Answer in units of N

Homework Equations

F=ma
F=9.8m/s^2(m1+m2)

Not quite sure, I have been trying to work with these two but am not having much luck.

The Attempt at a Solution

I am hopelessly lost on this one. My teacher is extremely difficult to understand and physics is really giving me a tough time. Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
I your teacher is hard to understand or worse--not a good teacher, you will have to do some independent study to stay afloat. Read your textbook slowly and thoroughly. Work with a classmate if possible. Use this site's learning materials. Find and use internet resources.

What is the acceleration of the group of blocks?
Since there is no friction and these blocks are moving horizontally, the acceleration due to gravity is not relevant.
Can you draw free body diagrams of the individual blocks? If you can, then you are almost done.

All the blocks are moving together, like a train, under the influence of the horizontal force.
Using Newton's 2nd law, what are their acceleration?

1. What is the force between two masses?

The force between two masses is described by Newton's Law of Gravitation, which states that the force between two masses is directly proportional to the product of the masses and inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them. The equation for calculating this force is F = G(m1m2)/d^2, where G is the gravitational constant, m1 and m2 are the masses, and d is the distance between them.

2. How do I calculate the force between two masses?

To calculate the force between two masses, you will need to use the equation F = G(m1m2)/d^2, where G is the gravitational constant, m1 and m2 are the masses, and d is the distance between them. Make sure to use consistent units for mass (usually kilograms) and distance (usually meters) to get an accurate result.

3. What is the gravitational constant?

The gravitational constant, denoted by G, is a physical constant that appears in the equation for Newton's Law of Gravitation. It has a value of approximately 6.67 x 10^-11 N(m/kg)^2 and is used to relate the force between two masses with their masses and the distance between them.

4. Can the force between two masses be negative?

Yes, the force between two masses can be negative. This means that the force is acting in the opposite direction of the initial direction of the force. For example, if the force is initially acting towards the masses, a negative force would act away from the masses.

5. How does distance affect the force between two masses?

The force between two masses is inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them. This means that as the distance between the masses increases, the force decreases and vice versa. For example, if the distance between two masses is doubled, the force between them will decrease by a factor of four.