Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Boxing day?

1. Dec 22, 2003 #1

Njorl

Science Advisor

Is it about pugilism or containers?

Njorl

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 22, 2003 #2
    Boxing day takes its name after a tradition practiced by churches in English speaking countries during the middle ages. Churches opened 'alms boxe', which contained gifts of money, then distributed them to the poor on the day after Christmas day. Still practiced today too in some places. Gifts are given to postal workers and other delivery servicepeople.

4. Dec 29, 2003 #3

Njorl

Science Advisor

Thank you.

5. Dec 29, 2003 #4

Tom Mattson

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

HA HA HA

I never knew what Boxing Day was either, but it always conjured up a very funny image in my mind. I always pictured it as a day in which all Canadians united in solemn celebration and the spirit of brotherhood, to beat the crap out of each other.

Guess I was wrong.

6. Dec 29, 2003 #5

Njorl

Science Advisor

Early in my childhood, I conceived the notion that it had something to do with lots of empty containers left over from Christmas. I imagined that Canadiens did something special with all the boxes. It was so deeply entrenched, that it seemed reasonable to me even last week.

Njorl

7. Dec 29, 2003 #6
    Re: Re: Boxing day?

I had that same thought when I saw the day "Canadian Boxing Day" on my calendar. Another holiday to celebrate, yay

8. Dec 30, 2003 #7
    Boxing Day is an old English tradition - The Canadian's must have 'borrowed' it from us. But as they are a Commonwealth country, that's OK.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?