Build a Pool-Walking Device with These Requirements

• Thread starter theycallmesal
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Project
In summary, the conversation was about a project to create a device to walk across a pool. Some of the requirements included walking in an upright stance and using only foot/leg power for propulsion, using handles for stabilization but not propulsion, keeping the water line below the ankles, and limiting the length of the device to 2 meters. Possible ideas mentioned included using blow up rafts attached to the feet or using flaps on the pontoons for resistance. It was also mentioned that the show Mythbusters had attempted a similar project. A suggestion was given to have something to stabilize the distance between the two sides of the device.
theycallmesal
I hope this is allowed.
Anyways, I have a project to make a device which I will use to walk across a pool.

Here are some of the requirements:
-Students must walk in an upright stance and propolsion must be supplied by foot/leg power only
-Handles may be used to stablize walker but not to propel
-The water line must not be higher on the walker than the top of the ankles
- The length of the apparatus must not exceed 2 meters
- It must start touching the pool wall.

Any ideas??
Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Hmmm... interesting. What have you thought of so far?

Welcome aboard, sal!

My name isn't sal but rather an inside joke... thanks anyways though.

I was just thinking of getting 2 blow up rafts and attaching them to my feet...unfortunately i have no way of trying this except in the bathtub...haha

Obviously you cannot raise one of your feet without falling over.

What I thought is to mount flaps below the pontoons on your feet. The flaps fold down (flat against the bottom of the pontoon) when the foot is pulled forward, but not when they are pushed backwards, thereby providing the resistantce to push yourself forward.

I believe mythbusters had an episode where they attempted to build a device to walk on water. My suggestion would be to have something to stabilize the distance between the two sides/stabilizes the contact with the water. i.e. keeps everything squared up (or at whatever angle you choose.)

1. How do I choose the right materials for building a pool-walking device?

The most important factor to consider when choosing materials for a pool-walking device is their ability to withstand water and chlorine exposure. Look for materials that are rust-resistant, waterproof, and durable. Some good options include stainless steel, aluminum, and high-quality plastics.

2. What are the key design requirements for a pool-walking device?

The main design requirements for a pool-walking device are stability, buoyancy, and ease of use. It should be able to support the weight of the user and stay afloat in the water. The device should also have a sturdy and comfortable grip for the user to hold onto while walking.

3. How do I ensure safety while using a pool-walking device?

To ensure safety while using a pool-walking device, it is important to test it in shallow water before using it in deeper areas. It is also recommended to have a spotter or assistant present while using the device. Additionally, make sure to follow all safety guidelines and precautions provided by the manufacturer.

4. Can I modify or customize a pool-walking device to fit my specific needs?

Yes, you can modify or customize a pool-walking device to fit your specific needs. However, it is important to consult with a professional or the manufacturer before making any modifications to ensure that the device remains safe and functional.

5. How do I properly maintain and store a pool-walking device?

To properly maintain and store a pool-walking device, make sure to rinse it with fresh water after each use and allow it to dry completely before storing it in a cool, dry place. Check for any signs of wear and tear and replace any damaged parts as needed. Regular maintenance and proper storage will help prolong the life of your device.