Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Boycott US products

1. May 2, 2003 #1
    Boycott US products as its only civilized and possible way to stop its drunken walk...

2. jcsd
  3. May 2, 2003 #2

GENIERE

Science Advisor

Yes I agree you'd be less off without them. You can probably buy similar products from India and run pirated copies of Windows.

4. May 2, 2003 #3
    Boycott Campaign

The campaign to boycott American and British goods is a non-violent resistance to the American and British imposition of wars on weak and devastated nations and to their corporate interests.
    The campaign is asking people to voluntarily stop consuming American and British products so as to hurt the corporate interests of the two countries. This is premised n the belief that: (i) Corporate interests are very dear to America and Britain, and are the forces that determine their foreign policies, (ii) The American wars of aggression in the four continents of the world during the last century and in the recent months are essentially aimed at protecting and promoting American corporate interests (besides, of course, creating a secure environment for Israel); (iii) The U.S. and British war machines have become unbeatable and that political and diplomatic pressures have stopped working on them.
    The weaker nations have little option except to either surrender to the whims of the rulers in Washington and London, or to start hurting them where it hurts. Boycott of American and British products is a potent method that is gaining momentum all over the world.
    Take American food chains. They promote what is literally called “Junk Food” back in the US as the most fashionable cuisine in many countries, paying to the American principals a royalty of 5% on the sale for using their brand names. It is this 5% that goes to bloat the coffers of American corporations, many of whom are heavy contributors to the state of Israel. A part of the money that we pay to consume American products thus indirectly goes to strengthen American and Israeli defence capabilities, to the American aggressions and to the Israeli atrocities on the Palestinians. Besides, such conspicuous consumption promotes slavery to the American value system which further undermines our society psychologically.
    The campaign to boycott American and British products is asking people to stop going to American food chain restaurants like McDonald’s, KFC, Pizza Hut, etc., stop consuming American brand beverages like Coca Cola, Pepsi, 7-U, Sprite, Teem, Fanta, Mirinda, etc., stop using American banks like the City Bank, the Bank of America, etc., and stop purchasing petroleum products from Caltex and Mobil stations. Then there is a long list of products ranging from soaps and detergents to cigarettes and clothes that must also be boycotted. The campaign asks consumers to instead buy substitute products.
    If people all over the world indeed follow the boycott calls, there will be two simultaneous impacts. One it will drastically reduce the money flowing out of the countries in the form of royalty. Secondly, it will give a boost to the local industry, encouraging local entrepreneur to increase the volume and quality of his production.
    It should be noted that the campaign is not asking the governments to curb the supply side by banning American products and business. It is instead appealing to the demand side by asking consumers to take a conscious decision to choose one rather than the other available product. This way, the campaign is not only giving a voice to the prevalent anti-American sentiments in general but it is also educating the public on how best to resist the new fascism surfacing in America, Britain and Israel.
    But the campaign also understands that the boycott call cannot and should not be extended everything American or British. The campaign understands that there is a god side of America and there is a bad side of America. The good side includes American knowledge producers (universities and research institutions), their life-saving drugs, their excellent intellectuals, their dissenters and peace activists, their art and literature, their computers and software industry, their books and journals, etc. Without some of these we will not be able to progress at all. The bad side of America, on the other hand is the very powerful military-industrial complex that wages wars and inflicts miseries on people all over the world, and the capital that promotes conspicuous consumption.
    We will never oppose import of American or British industry that enriches our society with better technology and improved means of production. What the campaign points out is the actual absence of these and proliferation of items of conspicuous consumption.

Last edited: May 2, 2003
  5. May 2, 2003 #4

enigma

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

<deleted>

6. May 2, 2003 #5

Kerrie

Staff Emeritus
    Gold Member

good luck with your campaign...

7. May 2, 2003 #6
    Re: Boycott Campaign

Yawn. *Edited*

Watch yourself Mulder. Insults based of race, sex, or religion are especially bad. Go read the PF guidelines beofre you post again-Zero

Last edited by a moderator: May 2, 2003
  8. May 2, 2003 #7
    You want to boycott, that's fine. Doesn't bother me in the slightest. I don't want to participate though.

9. May 2, 2003 #8

drag

Science Advisor

Boycott ALL French products !
    (I'd also say Arab Muslim countries - but,
    they have none, except oil - and we can't
    boycott it. :wink: )

10. May 2, 2003 #9

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

Well, I own an American brand car made in a Japanese plant in Detroit. Hmm....

Ya. Good luck.

11. May 2, 2003 #10
    Well what I said wasn't in the slightest bit racist ....but I certainly wont be boycotting US/UK companies. I don't agree with anyone living in these countries doing so either, whatever their race. Anyone outside can do what they want for me.

12. May 2, 2003 #11

FZ+

Boycott boycotts!

13. May 2, 2003 #12
    I never eat at Burger King or Whataburger. Is that a boycott, stupidity or simply individual free expression?

14. May 2, 2003 #13

russ_watters

Its a question of MOTIVE.

15. May 2, 2003 #14
    I don't like their burgers, and at Whataburger they have dead, stuffed, hairy animals on the wall which kinda puts me off my food.

16. May 2, 2003 #15
    ^Getting further off topic lol, but I know someone who found some kind of cyst in a McDonald's burger

17. May 2, 2003 #16
    Boycott all non-GM food!

18. May 3, 2003 #17

Integral

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

LOL,
    For your "boycott" to have any meaningful effect your corner of the globe will have to develope a modern economy, to do that, you will need to develope a modern goverment. As long as a medival oriented church is allowed to run your lives your boycott will have no effect. Perhaps it is time for the modern, educated protion of your population to assert themselves and demand a say in the ruling of your country.

19. May 3, 2003 #18

russ_watters

Um, wouldn't that boycott also have to include a boycot of modern economics and government? Catch-22 :wink:

20. May 5, 2003 #19
    Lets see what happens to this campaign..But one thing I know is that human history tells that strong nations always tried to conquere weak nations and world has always raised its voice against such aggressions. And its also seen in histroy that no one can remain in power for infinite time. There will be a decline and may be in future, our campaign come in history as one of the attempt and reason in this regard. Its a slow process, it may take years but we believe that slow changes are sustainable.

21. May 5, 2003 #20
    I don't think the Roman Empire fell by people refusing to buy pizza. Nor will America decline because a few folks decide not buy carbonated water and hamburgers.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?