Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Boys don't cry!

1. Jul 16, 2004 #1
    I am a 1st year high school student.
    My uncle's boy is 3 years older than me. He once told me that "Boys don't cry". But yesterday, I saw him cry because he lost his wallet. He went here and there to look for it, and even in the kitchen, toilet but found nothing...
    He told me that he got his papers, and $840 in it and he intended to deposit that sum into his saving account in the bank. He earned it from his part-time job, a waiter.
    Is "Boys don't cry" as he once said true ? He just wanted to be like that before me, correct ? I just think if he lost them, he can call the bank and other places to stop some services..like credit cards and go make other ID cards, right ?
  2. jcsd
  3. Jul 16, 2004 #2
    There is only one explanation. He obviously isn't a boy! :wink:
  4. Jul 16, 2004 #3
    I think it is human emotions, how can we say it can or it can't ?
    Are you a man ? or a woman ?
  5. Jul 16, 2004 #4
    Anyway, I think you might have misunderstood or you might not be able to give me the correct answer because I have tried to search on the topic in the internet for many times before posting this question.
    But can you tell me why you don't cry ?
  6. Jul 16, 2004 #5

Math Is Hard

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Of course boys cry. All humans do. He might have really been trying to express "Boys are not supposed to cry, or to demonstrate that kind of emotion in public." This may have been something he learned in his own cultural conditioning.
  7. Jul 17, 2004 #6

Staff Emeritus
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

Sometimes older or more powerful people tell younger or weaker people what they hope is true rather than what really is true. This is just one thread in the tapestry of why the human race is as messed up as it is.
  8. Jul 17, 2004 #7
    If you accept that releasing emotions rather than suppressing them is healthy, then we would have to accept that boys who don't cry are storing up trouble.

Women tend to be better at expressing distress - it is more socially acceptable in the West for them to do so - which is probably something to do with why rates of depression are much higher in women than men, and men have far higher suicide and violent crime rates than women.

'Boys don't cry' is just another brick in the wall, like 'women can't do maths' etc. However, its only polite to pick the time and place to release emotions, rather than dumping your feelings on others inappropriately. Me, I like to cry whilst curled up under my car in the driveway. Anyone else have a favourite way to release emotions?

Note: Come on! I was kidding about the car in driveway bit. Jeez...
  9. Jul 17, 2004 #8

Staff: Mentor

Why is this in skepticism & debunking?

Anyway, variances of the saying men/boys don't cry have been around for ages. Supposedly if a man shows emotions like crying, he is considered to be weak. I think that it is ridiculous. I personally have more respect for a person that can show their emotions rather than hide them.
  10. Jul 17, 2004 #9
    I'm a robot! :biggrin:

No, no... A pirate robot! :approve:

Anyways I was just kidding. It is appropate for anyone to cry given extreme emotional stress. But it terms of physical pain I think men need to be tough and hold back to some extent. Atleast if they want any respect from me.
  11. Jul 17, 2004 #10
    LOL@at all the people actually taking this seriously
  12. Jul 17, 2004 #11

Staff: Mentor

It's an age old topic Overdose and one that bears discussing. But this isn't the proper forum, it should be moved to social sciences perhaps.
  13. Jul 18, 2004 #12
    Evo, I am sorry I didn't know this should be there,
    I wrote in my first post my suggestions only which I didn't know wether they would be correct or not. I told him already, and he called them yesterday.

Entropy, what will you do if you don't respect them ? if you don't respect them, will they respect you ? You guys won't talk to each other right ? Are you from Canada ?
  14. Jul 18, 2004 #13
    If I'm in a foxhole and the guy next to me is crying, that is not a good thing.
  15. Jul 18, 2004 #14
    Dubya, it probably just means you were telling him your political views :cry:

Hey! Calm down! Just kidding again. Jeez, lighten up everyone... :biggrin:
  16. Jul 18, 2004 #15
    Its a valid question, especially from a 1st year high school student. I never even questioned that stuff when I was Daniel's age, and lots of people go through their entire life without questioning it.

So stop being such a big meany, Overdose. I'm telling my mummy :cry:
  17. Jul 18, 2004 #16

jimmy p

Gold Member

Humans suck, we cry for emotional reasons. No other animals do. Well maybe fish, but who would notice.

OK new theory to debunk....FISH TEARS. :biggrin:
  18. Jul 19, 2004 #17
    i have cried my share when i was younger...
    now, i'm more aware of my own psychology, and i respond rationally to it as much as i can, so i very, very rarely feel the need to cry...
    i think it's about balance... if you try to suppress something instead of relieving it in some way (no jokes :wink: ), it will eventually come out as tears or violence...
  19. Jul 19, 2004 #18
    Are you familiar with Rational Emotive Therapy? It provides an excellent approach to life, IMHO.
  20. Jul 19, 2004 #19

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

What's to debunk ? Have you never tasted sea-water ?
  21. Jul 19, 2004 #20
    no... i use my knowledge on jung psychotherapy and psychotherapy in general to analyse my behaviour and my patterns and respond rationally to them... it's working quite well...
    i supspect RET is somewhat similar?
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?