Bp and mp

1. does anyone know why it is important to have the melting point of a solute not be higher than the boiling point of the solvent during recrystallization? --having a little trouble rationalizing this.

2. jcsd
  3. Is this not because the pattern will be from a liquid a solid and then to a gas if you decrease the temperature???

The Bob (2004 ©)

4. dextercioby

dextercioby 12,303
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Are u sure you're asking a right thing...?I mean according to me,it should be the other way around.The solvent (water,e.g.) must have the boiling point temp.less than solute's melting point,AT THE SAME PRESSURE...

Daniel.

5. I only assumed that if the bp of the solvent was higher thanthe mp of the solute than the compound you're trying to isolate will have already melted and mixed completely with the solvent.

6. dextercioby

dextercioby 12,303
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Nope,recrystallization of a solution means:
    boiling of the solvent------------->recrystallization of the solute.
    Since you want the solute to be solid (that means "recrystallization"),you need to boil the solvent.Ergo,its boiling point < the melting point of the solute (at the same pressure);

Daniel.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share a link to this question via email, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?