Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

BP Invigorate

1. Feb 4, 2008 #1
    I just fueled up at a BP and wondered what everyone thought of the BP Invigorate claims. Is it anything more than an advertising gimick? BP says it helps clean your engine and makes it last longer. What is the science behind BP Invigorate? If I have a BP and a Citgo station near me with the same prices, should I goto BP?

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 4, 2008 #2

CEL

I don't know what BP Invigorate is, but distributors do add detergents to their fuel that clean valves and spark plugs.

4. Feb 4, 2008 #3

Astronuc

Staff: Mentor

It may be difficult to learn the ingredients, but Invigorate appears to be a detergent additive.

http://www.bpinvigorate.com/bpgas_protects.html

http://www.bpinvigorate.com/bpgas_cleans.html

Mobil used to advertise their 'detergent' gasoline. I've been buying Mobil for years, and that have given me the best performace - better than Shell, Exxon, Texaco, Arco, Amoco, and probably BP. I hardly ever used BP.

With the merger between Exxon and Mobil, I'm not sure whose gasoline I'm getting. Some independent stations just by from the least expensive source.

5. Feb 4, 2008 #4
    How do you measure gasoline performance (personally)? Are the companies fuels all that different?

btw, here is the website for BP
    http://www.bpinvigorate.com/

Last edited: Feb 4, 2008
  6. Feb 4, 2008 #5

Astronuc

Staff: Mentor

I get a feel for how the engine should feel and sound, particularly when accelerating.

When I was in college, I bought a 1971 Volve 142E, which had an in-line 4 cyl engine with electronic fuel injection (and electronic overdrive). Great car!

The engine had a first gen electronic fuel injection by Bosch and it was very sensitive to gasoline quality. I used different gasolines, and finally gave Mobil a try, and I've been with Mobil ever since. Whatever they put in their gasoline worked for the Volvo.

And it works for my Hondas.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2008
  7. Feb 4, 2008 #6

turbo

Gold Member

I buy Irving fuel because it was the first fuel in this area to meet BMW's fuel-injector cleanliness standards. Irving has its own refining facilities in New Brunswick. Other fuels in this area typically come from one set of tank farms in Portland, and the differences between brands basically come down the the contents of the additive packs that are dumped into the tanker trailers before the gas is pumped in. When you buy Mobil, Exxon, Chevron, etc, in Maine, you're getting generic gas with proprietary additives.

8. Apr 20, 2008 #7
    I buy BP fuel. I'm not going to lie, I have noticed it helping my engine. 1996 Cadillac Northstar, I used to do 23MPG. Then after a while of using other people's fuel (usually wal-mart's since it happened to be the cheapest) I dropped down to an average of 18. I started using BP's fuel since it was closer to where I lived, and after only a few days I'm back up to 21 on average. My driving style hasn't changed. Just thought I'd throw in my thoughts.

9. Apr 20, 2008 #8
    I wouldn't buy BP on the basis of their history and environmental record. I think their gas is high quality though.

10. Sep 25, 2008 #9
    BP invigorate gas is 10% ethanol. All gas now have 10% ethanol in it

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?