1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Bra-ket algebra

1. Sep 22, 2007 #1
    I need to show that (XY)^(dagger)=(Y)^(dagger)(X)^(dagger) using bra-ket algebra
    where X and Y are operators

say we started out with: if we dagger it (using *):

XY|a> = X(Y|a>)=(X(Y|a>))=((Y|a>)X*)=<a|Y*X*

we also know that XY|a>=<a|(XY)* by definition, so (XY)^(dagger)=(Y)^(dagger)(X)^(dagger)

My question is on how valid this statement is:
    XY|a> = X(Y|a>)=(X(Y|a>))=((Y|a>)X*)=<a|Y*X*

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 22, 2007 #2

nrqed

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I don't understand at all X(Y|a>)=(Y|a>)X*

4. Sep 22, 2007 #3
    that's what i'm not sure about, actually, i get here and I dont know what to do:

XY|a> = X(Y|a>) = (X<a|Y*)

5. Sep 22, 2007 #4
    That's not correct. When you say X<a|Y* you are multiplying a matrix by a row vector, which is impossible.

Basically you have two properties of the adjoint which are useful in this problem:

|Xa> = X|a>

and

<Xa| = <a|X*

And also don't forget that the product of two operators can be treated as another operator.

EDIT: In fact only one property: <Xa| = <a|X*

Last edited: Sep 22, 2007
  6. Sep 22, 2007 #5
    i'm not sure what the difference between |Xa> and X|a> is

also, my books says you can go from X(Y|a>) to (<a|Y*)X*

i dont know how that is possible

7. Sep 22, 2007 #6
    If you translate |Xa> into words it is the column vector resulting from the multiplication of the matrix X by the a row vector having the components a0, a1, a2, ...
    X|a> would translate as the result of multiplying the matrix X by the column vector |a>
    Because |a> has the components a0, a1, a2, ... it results that |Xa> = X|a>

On the other hand <Xa| is the conjugate transpose of the column vector resulting from the multiplication of the matrix X by the a column vector having the components a0, a1, a2, ...
    <a|X would translate as the result of multiplying the conjugate transpose of |a> by the matrix X. It is clear that they are not necessarily equal.

Try to use the property <Xa| = <a|X*.
    Start from <XYa|. Considering that XY is also an operator, apply the property above. Then considering that Ya is a vector and X an operator, apply the property above.

8. Sep 22, 2007 #7
    so I'm trying to get from X(Y|a>) to (<a|Y*)X*

X(Y|a>)=X(<a|Y*)

the rules that has been listed does not say what to do in this situation: X(<a|Y*)

i could do X<Ya| but that still doesnt really help

9. Sep 22, 2007 #8
    I already told you that X(<a|Y*) can't be calculated. Use the hints that I gave you.

10. Sep 22, 2007 #9
    Look, I'll do the second part and you do the first part.
    I start from <XYa| and considering that Ya is a vector and X an operator, I apply the property <Xa| = <a|X* and get:

<XYa| = <X(Ya)| = <Ya|X* then, I apply the property for <Ya| i.e. <Ya| = <a|Y* and get:
    <XYa| = <X(Ya)| = <Ya|X* = <a|Y*X*

Now all you have to do is to start from <XYa| , consider that XY is an operator, and apply the same property <Xa| = <a|X*

You will get <XYa| = <(XY)a| = ...

11. Sep 22, 2007 #10
    using your hint of <a|XY = <X*a|Y=<Y*X*a| and <a|(XY) = <(XY)*a| to prove it, but im still not sure how my book gets from X(Y|a>) to (<a|Y*)X*

12. Sep 22, 2007 #11
    That's also a solution.

13. Sep 22, 2007 #12
    i know that is the solution, my question is trying to understand what my book did.

how it went from X(Y|a>) to (<a|Y*)X*

14. Sep 22, 2007 #13
    I don't think they are sayng that X(Y|a>) = (<a|Y*)X* but rather X(Y|a>) <-> (<a|Y*)X* which means that (<a|Y*)X* is the corresponding bra of the ket X(Y|a>) which is true.

15. Sep 22, 2007 #14
    what does "the corresponding bra of the ket" mean?

16. Sep 22, 2007 #15
    <a| is the corresponding bra of the ket |a>

Check the wikipedia page on bra-ket notation.

17. Sep 22, 2007 #16
    so, the transpose conjugate of X(Y|a>) is (<a|Y*)X* ?

18. Sep 22, 2007 #17
    Exactly.

19. Sep 22, 2007 #18
    thanks!

also, i was wondering, is the kronecker delta the same thing as the dirac delta in the form delta(a-b)

that is, [tex]\delta _{a,b} = \delta(a-b)[/tex]

I'm really wondering if a and b were orthonomal sets, then:
    [tex]\langle a|b \rangle = \delta _{a,b} = \delta(a-b)[/tex]

20. Sep 22, 2007 #19
    They are not the same but the Dirac delta has a similar role as the Kronecker delta, when the dimension of the space is infinite.

21. Sep 22, 2007 #20
    so if a and b were orthonormal sets, would:

[tex]\langle a|b \rangle = \delta(a-b)[/tex]

or

[tex]\langle a|b \rangle = \delta _{a,b}[/tex]

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?