Bra Ket Question: Outer Product Complex Conjugate

• Thread starter malawi_glenn
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Bra ket
In summary, the complex conjugate of the outer product is not the same as the adjoint. While the complex conjugate of <a|b> is <b|a>, the adjoint of |a><b| is |b><a|. This can be verified from the definitions of complex conjugation and adjoint.
malawi_glenn
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Gold Member
Is the complex conjugate to the outer product this? :

( |a> <b| ) * = ( |b> <a| )

?

Physics news on Phys.org
If you think of it as a matrix that's like saying A_ij*=Aji. Looks like an Hermitian conjugate to me.

Last edited:
The cc does not interchange a and b.

so

(<a|b>) * = (<b|a>)

but not

?

malawi_glenn said:
so

(<a|b>) * = (<b|a>)

but not

?

First, note that <a|b> is a complex number, while |a><b| is a linear operator on a vector space.

The answer to your question depends on what you mean by *. What do you mean by *?

If you mean complex conjugation, then I don't know how to take (in a basis-independent way) the complex conjugate of a linear operator.

If you mean adjoint, then (after changing * to [itex]{}^\dagger[/itex])

[tex]\left< a | b \right>^\dagger = \left< b | a \right>[/tex]

[tex]\left( \left| a \right> \left< b \right| \right)^\dagger = \left| b \right> \left< a \right|.[/tex]

You should verify this from the definition of adjoint.

hmm yeah i must have confused those two things.. thanks for all help =)

1. What is a Bra Ket?

A Bra Ket is a mathematical notation used in quantum mechanics to represent a vector in a complex vector space. It is a combination of the terms "bra" and "ket", where "bra" represents the conjugate transpose of a vector and "ket" represents a vector itself.

2. What is an Outer Product?

An outer product is a mathematical operation that takes two vectors and produces a matrix. It is also known as a tensor product and is commonly used in linear algebra and quantum mechanics.

3. What is a Complex Conjugate?

A complex conjugate is a mathematical operation that involves changing the sign of the imaginary component of a complex number. For example, the complex conjugate of 3+4i is 3-4i.

4. How is the Bra Ket notation used in quantum mechanics?

In quantum mechanics, the Bra Ket notation is used to represent the state of a quantum system. The bra vector \langle \psi | represents the conjugate transpose of the state vector | \psi \rangle , and the outer product | \psi \rangle \langle \psi | is used to represent a projection operator onto that state.

5. Why is the Bra Ket notation useful in quantum mechanics?

The Bra Ket notation is useful in quantum mechanics because it allows for a concise representation of complex vector spaces and operators. It also follows the principles of linear algebra, making it easier to perform calculations and understand the behavior of quantum systems.