1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Bra - ket?

1. Oct 26, 2012 #1
    bra - ket??

Hi, maybe a stupid question, but i would like to know if, if We have a real number, but we are i a vector space, and the operator is hermitian, is |a> is equal to < a |*?

i assume this, because if a is the vector (1,0) (spin up), and only real entries.

im trying to make ((Sy|a>) |b>) to ((<a|Sy)|b>) somehow..if both a and b are real..plz solve this mess

I am talking about Sx, Sy, Sz is hermitian operators.. and these are operating..
    are these 3 hermitian conjugates to each other?
    i might add, that Sy can ONLY operate on the 'a' state ( <a| or |a>)

and, finally, how would you write out <a|Sy?, is it a vector?

Last edited: Oct 26, 2012
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 26, 2012 #2
    Re: bra - ket??

Can you give a little more information about what you mean when you talk about real numbers? Bras and kets are members of a Hilbert space, so the concept of "real number" doesn't mean anything when talking about them.

4. Oct 26, 2012 #3

Do you mean that,

Sy|a> = a |a> where a is real?

<a| Sy = row vector times matrix = row vector

5. Oct 27, 2012 #4

yes, i mean row vector times matrix, i would like to show that Sy|a> = <a|Sy, if Sy is hermitian..

6. Oct 27, 2012 #5

Fredrik

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

If |a> is a member of a Hilbert space H, then so is Sy|a>. But <a| is a member of the dual space H*, defined as the set of continuous linear functions from H into ℂ. <a|Sy is another member of H*, so it can't be equal to any member of H, like e.g. Sy|a>.

It would however make sense to ask if they have the same components, with respect to some basis {|i>} and its dual basis {<i|} (the latter being defined by <i|j>=δij). The ith component of <a|Sy is by definition <a|Sy|i>. (See this post for more about components of linear maps with respect to a basis). The ith component of Sy|a> is just its projection onto the ith basis vector, <i|Sy|a>.

7. Oct 27, 2012 #6

another way to think of it,

Sy|a> = <a|Sy

Sy|a> = matrix times column vector = column vector

<a|Sy = row vector times matrix = row vector

it is not possible that Sy|a> = <a|Sy

8. Oct 27, 2012 #7

Fredrik

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

This argument is fine when the vector space is finite.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook