Brace and brackets confusion

• Thread starter tionis
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Confusion
In summary: You have to apply the rules. Multiplication has higher priority... so 4 + 4 * [7] would be the answer.{ 4 + 4 * [7] = 16}
tionis
Gold Member
Hi. I'm having trouble solving:

29 - { 5 + 3 [ 8 × ( 10 - √64 ) ] - 50 }

My attempt:

29 - { 8 [ 8 × ( 2 ) ] - 50 } = [ 8 × 2 = 16 ] then { 8 × 16 = 128 - 50 = 78 } - 29 = 49

but the calculator says the answer is 126 and I don't know how it arrived at that solution. The textbook doesn't have the answer for this particular problem so I don't know where I went wrong. Please help. Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Look at the 5 and the 3 - have you used them properly ?

Likes tionis
Nidum said:
Look at the 5 and the 3 - have you used them properly ?

Have I? I think I have lol. I have followed the rule of starting with the inner most bracket which I think is ( 10 - √64 ) then multiplied the result by 8 and jumped to the next bracket over to the left { 5 + 3 }, but something doesn't feel right and I can't see it.

5 + 3 * [ ] ?

It is easier to spot problems if you set calculations out methodically .

Likes tionis
Nidum said:
5 + 3 * [ ] ?

5 + 3 × [2] = 16, no?

Nidum said:

Sorry, Nidum, but I still don't get it. Why are you putting the 3 inside another bracket?

There is an implied multiplication sign between the 3 and the [ 8 × ( 10 - √64 ) ] term .

Likes tionis
Nidum said:

There is an implied multiplication sign between the 3 and the [ 8 × ( 10 - √64 ) ] term .

OK, so is it 3 × 2 + 5 = 11? I still don't see how that gets me to 126, if that is the right answer. Is 126 the right answer?

29 - { 5 + 3 [ 8 x ( 10 - √64 ) ] - 50 }

tionis said:
Is 126 the right answer?

( 10 - √64 ) = ?

[ 8 x ( 10 - √64 ) ] = ?

3 [ 8 x ( 10 - √64 ) ] = ?

{ 5 + 3 [ 8 x ( 10 - √64 ) ] - 50 } = ?

29 - { 5 + 3 [ 8 x ( 10 - √64 ) ] - 50 } = ?

Put in the numbers and come back .

Likes tionis
Nidum said:
29 - { 5 + 3 [ 8 x ( 10 - √64 ) ] - 50 } Put in the numbers and come back .
( 10 - √64 ) = 2

[ 8 × ( 10 - √64 ) ] = 16

3 [ 8 × ( 10 - √64 ) ] = 48? I don't see how the bracket between the 3 and the 8 means a multiplication.

{ 5 + 3 [ 8 x ( 10 - √64 ) ] - 50 } = if it is 48, do I subtract 50 from 48 to get 2?

29 - { 5 + 3 [ 8 x ( 10 - √64 ) ] - 50 } = Do I subtract 2 from 29 to get 27?

{ 5 + 3 [ 8 x ( 10 - √64 ) ] - 50 } = if it is 48, do I subtract 50 from 48 to get 2?

Actually 5 + 48 - 50 which = 3

So final answer is 29 - 3 = 26 .

Last edited:
Likes tionis
3 [ 8 × ( 10 - √64 ) ] = 48? I don't see how the bracket between the 3 and the 8 means a multiplication.

How would you work this out :

a + b(c + d) = ?

Last edited:
Likes tionis
Nidum said:

Actually 5 + 48 - 50 which = 3

So final answer is 29 - 3 = 26 .

I still don't understand why the 3 next to the bracket means I have to multiply. Is this always the case? Suppose I'm asked to simplify the following:

30 - { 4 + 4 [ 7 × ( 10 - √36 ) ] - 50 }

Would 36 be the correct answer?

As Nidum has pointed out, you have to apply the rules. Multiplication has higher priority than addition and subtraction. You can safely start from inner parentheses or brackets but watch out what operations you have to perform and apply the priority rules.

Likes tionis

a + b(c + d) = ?

Put some simple numbers in a=1 b=2 c=3 d=4

1 + 2(3 +4) = ?

Likes tionis
Nidum said:

a + b(c + d) = ?

Put some simple numbers in a=1 b=2 c=3 d=4

1 + 2(3 +4) = 3 + 4 = 7 × 2 = 14 + 1 = 15

Is that right?

That's it . Good !

Likes tionis
QuantumQuest said:
As Nidum has pointed out, you have to apply the rules. Multiplication has higher priority than addition and subtraction. You can safely start from inner parentheses or brackets but watch out what operations you have to perform and apply the priority rules.

It's just that the bracket highlighted in red threw me off 29 - { 5 + 3 [ 8 × ( 10 - √64 ) ] - 50 }.

Nidum said:
That's it . Good !

Awesome, Nidum! Thank you for seeing me through.

tionis said:
It's just that the bracket highlighted in red threw me off 29 - { 5 + 3 [ 8 × ( 10 - √64 ) ] - 50 }.

If you start with the innermost parentheses, calculate it and work your way out, giving priority to multiplication over addition / subtraction - unless there is any kind of brackets in which case you just perform the calculations inside them, you'll reach the outermost numbers and operations and finally you're done!

EDIT: Although obvious, I'll stress out that you have to watch out for the same kind of brackets - where they start and end, in order to decide the sequence of the operations you'll perform.

Likes tionis
QuantumQuest said:
If you start with the innermost parentheses, calculate it and work your way out, giving priority to multiplication over addition / subtraction - unless there is any kind of brackets in which case you just perform the calculations inside them, you'll reach the outermost numbers and operations and finally you're done!

I'll keep that in mind. Thanks for your help.

tionis said:
I'll keep that in mind. Thanks for your help.

You're welcome. Also take a look at my edit in my last post.

Likes tionis
QuantumQuest said:
EDIT: Although obvious, I'll stress out that you have to watch out for the same kind of brackets - where they start and end, in order to decide the sequence of the operations you'll perform.

Yeah! What is up with these different types of brackets lol? My phone's calculator doesn't have but one type only.

tionis said:
Yeah! What is up with these different types of brackets lol? My phone's calculator doesn't have but one type only.

In math, we use three kind of brackets: parentheses (), angle brackets [ ] and curly brackets { }, in this order from innermost to outermost. In programming we use only parentheses all over the way.

Likes tionis
QuantumQuest said:
In math, we use three kind of brackets: parentheses (), angle brackets [ ] and curly brackets { }
These -- [ ] -- are brackets.
Angle brackets -- < >
These -- { } -- are braces, but are sometimes called curly brackets.

Likes QuantumQuest
Mark44 said:
These -- [ ] -- are brackets.
Angle brackets -- < >
These -- { } -- are braces, but are sometimes called curly brackets.

Sorry, I don't really know where the "angle" came from - maybe overloaded from HTML;). So, it is three kinds of brackets: parentheses (), brackets [ ] and curly brackets { }.

1. What is "brace and brackets confusion"?

"Brace and brackets confusion" refers to a common mistake made when using braces and brackets in scientific notation or mathematical expressions. It involves using the wrong type of bracket in a specific context, leading to errors in calculations.

2. What are braces and brackets used for in scientific notation?

Braces ({}) are used to group terms in mathematical expressions, while brackets ([]) are used to enclose coefficients in scientific notation. Both are important for maintaining the correct order of operations and representing numbers in a concise manner.

3. What is the difference between braces and brackets?

The main difference between braces and brackets is their purpose. Braces are used for grouping terms, while brackets are used to enclose coefficients. Additionally, braces are typically used in mathematical expressions, while brackets are more commonly used in scientific notation.

4. How can I avoid "brace and brackets confusion"?

To avoid "brace and brackets confusion," it is important to understand the purpose and correct usage of braces and brackets. It can also be helpful to double check your notation and calculations to ensure that the correct type of bracket is used in the correct context.

5. What are some examples of "brace and brackets confusion"?

An example of "brace and brackets confusion" would be using braces instead of brackets in scientific notation, such as writing 3.2 x 10{8} instead of 3.2 x 10[8]. This mistake can lead to incorrect calculations and should be avoided.