1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Brachistochrone homework

1. Sep 17, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

consider a sigle loop of the cycloid with a fixed value of a. A car is released at a point P0 from rest anywhere on the track between the origin and the lowest point P, that is P0 has a parameter 0<theta0 < pi. show that the time for the cart to roll from P0 to P is given by the integral

time( P0]/sub] -> P) = [itex]\sqrt{\frac{a}{g}}\int \sqrt{\frac{1 - cos\vartheta}{cos\vartheta_{0} - cos\vartheta}}d\vartheta[/itex]

integral is from theta naught to pi

and prove the integral equals [itex]\pi\sqrt{\frac{a}{g}}[/itex] the integral may be tricky and you can use theta = pi -2(alpha)
    2. Relevant equations

[itex]\frac{df}{dx}=\frac{d}{dy}\frac{df/dx'}[/itex]

3. The attempt at a solution

1/2 mv2 = mg(y-y1

v = [itex]\sqrt{2g(y-y1}[/itex]

dt = ds/v

T = [itex]\int\frac{\sqrt{1+(x')2}}{\sqrt{2g(y-y1}}[/itex] dy

test the Euler formula to get

y = a(1 - cos(theta)) y' = asin(theta)

x = a (theta - sin(theta)) x' = a - acos(theta)

This is now the part I am having a problem with

Now i substitute my y and x' in

T = [itex]\int\frac{\sqrt{1 + (a( 1 - cos(\vartheta))2}}{\sqrt{2ga(cos(\vartheta) - cos(\vartheta0)}}(asin(\vartheta)[/itex]

and somehow that equals the top equation. Then i need to integrate it, which i get no where near close to what it wants no matter what the substitution and trig identities

not sure why all the itex isn't working

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 18, 2011 #2
    Re: Brachistochrone

Do this help?

Attached Files:

4. Sep 18, 2011 #3

it sure did sometimes i'm such a retard, x and y do not depend on each other they depend on theta...

because i was doing sqrt ( 1 y'^2) dx

thank you very much

5. Sep 18, 2011 #4

x and y do depend on each other but the answer had to be in terms of theta so that was a more useful parameter?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook