1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Brachistochrone problem

1. Mar 11, 2017 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Hi I'm in second year of study in Math, Physic and Informatic and I require some help.
    I began a work on the brachistochrone problem. It's really interesting and I already found lot of things (the equation of the cycloid by the Bernoulli's method, I wrote some programs which draw the curve between two point,... )
    But after this first researchs and results I don't know how to continue... Could you help me, give me some indication to go further ?

2. Relevant equations

Parametric equation of the cycloid

3. The attempt at a solution
    Further in math : curves generate by other geometric figures ?
    Further in physic : friction actions ? Speed font ion of the time ?
    Further in Informatic : No idea...

Thank's for your help :)

PS : excuse me for my English.... I'm French and I'm still learning !

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 11, 2017 #2

jedishrfu

Staff: Mentor

Have you looked at a classical physics book and how to use the calculus of variations to solve the problem?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brachistochrone_curve

Please be aware that we can't provide the solution or show you how to do it. We can only provide hints based on the work you've shown.

4. Mar 14, 2017 #3

rude man

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

My old Housner & Hudson, Applied Mechanics - Dynamics covers the subject. You might also want to read my Insight blog Brachistochrone Subway! and attendant comments in this forum.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted