Optimizing Travel Time: Calculating the Brachistochrone Curve

In summary: Sorry, I've already done that but i posted only part of my solution here. Thank you for your... In summary, you should use the x equation to get dx as a function of t, and substitute that in the integral to get the result.
Divh

Homework Statement

I have to calculate minimum travel time between two points. I already have cycloid equations in parametric form:

[itex]x=r*(t-\sin t)[/itex]
[itex]y=r*(1-\cos t)[/itex]​

Homework Equations

For calculating time i want to use following formula:

[itex]\int_{0}^{a} \frac{\sqrt{1+{y'}^2}}{\sqrt{2g\,y}}dx[/itex]​

My question is what should I substitute for y and y'?

Physics news on Phys.org
The given equations as well as the y-prime notation suggest that you would use your y(t) expression for y, and take the derivative wrt t for y'(t).

Let me know if that helps.

Ocifer said:
The given equations as well as the y-prime notation suggest that you would use your y(t) expression for y, and take the derivative wrt t for y'(t).
I would think the y' in the integrand stands for dy/dx. Use dy/dx = (dy/dt)/(dx/dt).

haruspex said:
I would think the y' in the integrand stands for dy/dx. Use dy/dx = (dy/dt)/(dx/dt).

So for y should I substitute y equation or integrate dy/dx and substitute solution of that?

Divh said:
So for y should I substitute y equation or integrate dy/dx and substitute solution of that?
There are two possible paths. You could eliminate t from the parametric form and obtain expressions for y and y' in terms of x. But it's probably neater to go the other way and eliminate x and y: turn everything in the integral (including dx) into functions of t.

haruspex said:
There are two possible paths. You could eliminate t from the parametric form and obtain expressions for y and y' in terms of x. But it's probably neater to go the other way and eliminate x and y: turn everything in the integral (including dx) into functions of t.

[itex]y'=\frac{dy}{dx}=\frac{r*(t-\sin t)}{-r*(1-\cos t}=-\frac{\sin t}{1-\cos t}[/itex]

[itex]\int -\frac{\sin t}{1-\cos t}\,dt=-\ln (1-\cos t)[/itex]

Is that what you meant?

Divh said:
[itex]y'=\frac{dy}{dx}=\frac{r*(t-\sin t)}{-r*(1-\cos t}=-\frac{\sin t}{1-\cos t}[/itex]
You left out the d/dt above and below the line in the middle step, but the final expression is right.
[itex]\int -\frac{\sin t}{1-\cos t}\,dt=-\ln (1-\cos t)[/itex]
Is that what you meant?
No. Look at your integral. It mentions y, y' and dx, and in the range it implicitly mentions x. You have expressions for x, y and y' as functions of t. Next you need an expression for dx as a function of t and dt. Then you can substitute all those in the integral.

haruspex said:
You left out the d/dt above and below the line in the middle step, but the final expression is right.

No. Look at your integral. It mentions y, y' and dx, and in the range it implicitly mentions x. You have expressions for x, y and y' as functions of t. Next you need an expression for dx as a function of t and dt. Then you can substitute all those in the integral.

So i don't have to integrate y' to get y? Should i use one of the parametric form equations, or all i have to do is to use integrated y' and then integrate by substitution whole expression?

That kinda confuses me a little bit.

Divh said:
So i don't have to integrate y' to get y?
No, it isn't necessary.
Should i use one of the parametric form equations
Yes, use them all. You want to replace all references in the integral to x, y and y' with references to t. What's stopping you?

haruspex said:
No, it isn't necessary.

Yes, use them all. You want to replace all references in the integral to x, y and y' with references to t. What's stopping you?

I think i have solution.

What I did is I derivated x equation to get dx as function of t: [itex]dx=1-\cos t dt [/itex].
Next I substituted this to my integral and I got [itex]\int_{0}^{a} \frac{\sqrt{1+{y'}^2}*(1-\cos t)}{\sqrt{2g\,y}}\,dt [/itex]

Is that right?

Divh said:
I think i have solution.

What I did is I derivated x equation to get dx as function of t: [itex]dx=1-\cos t dt [/itex].
Next I substituted this to my integral and I got [itex]\int_{0}^{a} \frac{\sqrt{1+{y'}^2}*(1-\cos t)}{\sqrt{2g\,y}}\,dt [/itex]

Is that right?
Yes, that's one part of what I advised you to do. Now do all the other parts: replace the y', the y, and the x in the ranges (x=0 etc.) with their representations in terms of t. I don't understand why you haven't done this. Is what I'm saying unclear?

haruspex said:
Yes, that's one part of what I advised you to do. Now do all the other parts: replace the y', the y, and the x in the ranges (x=0 etc.) with their representations in terms of t. I don't understand why you haven't done this. Is what I'm saying unclear?

Sorry, I've already done that but i posted only part of my solution here. Thank you for your help.

1. What is "Brachistochrone travel time"?

"Brachistochrone travel time" refers to the shortest possible time it would take for an object to travel between two points, assuming it is only under the influence of gravity and no other external forces.

2. Who first studied Brachistochrone travel time?

The concept of Brachistochrone travel time was first studied by the mathematician Johann Bernoulli in the 1690s.

3. How is Brachistochrone travel time calculated?

The calculation of Brachistochrone travel time involves setting up a differential equation known as the Brachistochrone curve. This equation can then be solved using calculus to find the shortest travel time between two points.

4. Why is Brachistochrone travel time important?

Brachistochrone travel time is important because it provides insight into the most efficient path for objects to travel under the influence of gravity. This concept has applications in fields such as physics, engineering, and astronomy.

5. Can Brachistochrone travel time be applied to real-life situations?

Yes, Brachistochrone travel time has practical applications in fields such as transportation and navigation. For example, flight paths of airplanes and trajectories of spacecraft can be optimized using the principles of Brachistochrone travel time.