What is the maximum load capacity for my fabricated bracket?

In summary, the sliding bracket will rotate due to the eccentrically applied load, and the outer (RHS) linear bearing will carry all the load. If the purpose of the inner (LHS) linear bearing is to maintain the orientation of the sliding bracket, then consider mounting one linear bearing above the other so you can get both bearings to carry the load.
DJT1967
Hi Guys I hope you can help. I’m currently trying to modify some existing equipment and have a problem that I hope you good people can help me solve. I have a fabricated bracket that currently supports another bracket than runs on linear bearings to position its self.

see attached JPG for rough layout.

We would like the existing bracket to support a load of approximately 1000kgs and after doing some research and found some calculations that would appear to be roughly what I need but I’m not sure.

I was wondering if anyone here would be so kind as to point me in the right direction as to what calculation / formula I would need to calculate the maximum load the bracket will take.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Attachments

• BRACKET.JPG
    BRACKET.JPG
    19.9 KB · Views: 922
Engineering news on Phys.org
I think it best to first understand the functionality, then look for the weakest link in the design.

The sliding bracket will rotate clockwise due to the eccentrically applied load. The outer (RHS) linear bearing will carry all the load, plus the negative load on the inner (LHS) linear bearing.

A 20 mm thick, 700 mm wide shelf supports the linear bearings. That shelf should be narrower so the outer (RHS) linear bearing that carries the load, can be closer to the vertical support structure.

If the purpose of the inner (LHS) linear bearing is to maintain the orientation of the sliding bracket, then consider mounting one linear bearing above the other so you can get both bearings to carry the load, and move the vertical force much closer to the vertical support structure.

You might consider mounting the shelf on edge as it will support the load better in that orientation.

What type of linear bearings are you considering? Make and model?
Can they take sideways or lifting forces as great as the vertical force?

Last edited:
DJT1967 said:
We would like the existing bracket to support a load of approximately 1000kgs
That's a pretty significant load. What would happen if the bracket fails? How far can the load fall, and what kinds of things are underneath this assembly?

Oh duh, never mind. The OP is from 2008. o0)

1. What is a bracket load calculation?

A bracket load calculation is a process used to determine the maximum amount of weight or force that a bracket or support can safely bear without breaking or failing. It takes into account factors such as the material, size, and shape of the bracket, as well as the type and location of the load being applied.

2. Why are bracket load calculations important?

Bracket load calculations are important because they help ensure the structural integrity and safety of a bracket or support. By accurately determining the maximum load capacity, engineers and designers can select appropriate brackets for specific applications and avoid overloading that can lead to failure or collapse.

3. What factors are considered in bracket load calculations?

Factors that are typically considered in bracket load calculations include the material properties of the bracket, such as strength and stiffness, as well as the load type and location. Other factors may include the size and shape of the bracket, the direction and magnitude of the load, and any additional forces or stressors that may be present.

4. How are bracket load calculations performed?

Bracket load calculations are typically performed using mathematical formulas and equations, often with the aid of computer software. These calculations take into account the various factors mentioned above to determine the maximum load capacity of a bracket, as well as any potential areas of weakness or failure.

5. Can bracket load calculations vary for different applications?

Yes, bracket load calculations can vary for different applications. The type and location of the load, as well as the specific properties of the bracket and the materials it is supporting, can all impact the maximum load capacity. Engineers and designers must carefully consider these factors when performing bracket load calculations for a specific application.