1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Bracketed subscripts

1. Sep 20, 2005 #1
    I. What does

A_{[\alpha} B_{\beta]}

mean? How do you expand this?

II. How do you put TeX in board posts?

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 20, 2005 #2

robphy

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

[ tex ] A_{[\alpha} B_{\beta]} [ /tex ] (remove the spaces in the tags)
    [tex] A_{[\alpha} B_{\beta]} [/tex] (click the on the equation to see)

[tex] A_{[\alpha} B_{\beta]} =\frac{1}{2!}\left( A_{\alpha} B_{\beta} - A_{\beta} B_{\alpha} \right)[/tex] the "antisymmetric part of [tex] A_{\alpha} B_{\beta} [/tex]"

4. Sep 21, 2005 #3

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

It's not necessary to use the numerical factor (we call it "weght"). See for example the em. tensor in vacuum. U can use the "no number convention" (i use it)

[tex] F_{\mu\nu}\equiv F_{\left[\mu\nu\right]}=:\partial_{[\mu}A_{\nu]} [/tex]

or the one Rob exemplified, when an ugly 2 comes up

[tex] F_{\mu\nu}\equiv F_{\left[\mu\nu\right]}=:2 \partial_{[\mu}A_{\nu]} [/tex]

Daniel.

5. Sep 21, 2005 #4

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

And for symmetrizing, we use round brackets. For example, the linearized graviton field has the irreducible Lagrangian infinitesimal gauge transformations

[tex] \delta_{\epsilon}h_{\left(\mu\nu\right)}(x) =\partial_{(\mu}\epsilon_{\nu)}(x) [/tex]

or with the "2", if you use an analogue convention Rob used.

Daniel.

6. Sep 21, 2005 #5

robphy

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

While the combinatorial factor I used may be conventional, I believe it is the preferred convention. See, for example, http://mathworld.wolfram.com/AntisymmetricTensor.html

Note that the "symmetric part" of a matrix is [tex]\frac{1}{2}(A+A^T)[/tex] and the "antisymmetric part" of a matrix is [tex]\frac{1}{2}(A-A^T)[/tex]. (Similarly, the "real part of a complex number z" is [tex]\frac{1}{2}(z+\bar z)[/tex] and "imaginary part of a complex number z" is [tex]\frac{1}{2i}(z-\bar z)[/tex].)

So, one can write the matrix equation
    [tex] A= A_{SYM} + A_{ANTISYM} [/tex]
    and an analogous tensorial equation
    [tex] \begin{align*}
    A_{ab} &=
    \frac{1}{2}( A_{ab} + A_{ba} )+
    \frac{1}{2}( A_{ab} - A_{ba} )
    \\
    &=
    A_{(ab)} + A_{[ab]} \\
    \end{align*}
    [/tex]

Note, if A is antisymmetric, then we can write
    [tex] A_{ab} = A_{[ab]} [/tex].

I think there is an inconsistency in your use of the brackets in the "no number convention" [tex] F_{\mu\nu}\equiv F_{\left[\mu\nu\right]}=:\partial_{[\mu}A_{\nu]} [/tex]

If "bracket" means "sum the alternating permutations without dividing by the combinatorial factor", then you must write for an antisymmetric F:
    [tex]F_{\mu\nu}=\frac{1}{2}F_{\left[\mu\nu\right]}=\frac{1}{2}(F_{\mu\nu}-F_{\nu\mu})[/tex] or [tex]2F_{\mu\nu}=F_{\left[\mu\nu\right]}[/tex]

7. Sep 23, 2005 #6

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I didn't in any place claim that

[tex] F_{[\mu\nu]}=F_{\mu\nu}-F_{\nu\mu} [/tex]

So no inconsistency. Whatsoever.

Daniel.

8. Sep 23, 2005 #7

robphy

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

So, maybe I am misunderstanding what your "no number convention" is.
    What does [tex]\partial_{[\mu}A_{\nu]}[/tex] mean in your convention?
    [tex]\partial_{[\mu}A_{\nu]}\stackrel{?}{=}\partial_{\mu}A_{\nu}-\partial_{\nu}A_{\mu}[/tex] or
    [tex]\partial_{[\mu}A_{\nu]}\stackrel{?}{=}\frac{1}{2!}\left(\partial_{\mu}A_{\nu}-\partial_{\nu}A_{\mu}\right)[/tex]?

9. Oct 3, 2005 #8

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Obviously the first.

Daniel.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?