Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Brag on your good kid here!

1. Jul 1, 2008 #1

turbo

Gold Member

I have a grand-niece whose mother is divorced from my nephew (I don't blame her one little bit, BTW). This grand-niece is a wonderful little girl - about 11 years old. She loves animals and she volunteers at the local animal shelter on weekends. She spends her time there taking dogs, cats, etc outside for some companionship, fresh air, sun and exercise. She takes on extra chores at home (beyond what you normally hear of a kid that age doing), and her mother pays her a weekly allowance. She gives all the money to the animal shelter to help pay for spaying/neutering, and for necessary medical care for the animals. What a sweetie! She visited today for a while with an aunt, and was pretty disappointed that none of my hand-trained chipmunks showed up for treats. I've got to get her back here for an afternoon - at least long enough to feed some 'munks.

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 1, 2008 #2

lisab

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

My daughter often makes bad choices about school (like, blowing off all math or science classes she takes :grumpy: ), but she's totally dedicated to theater. Not acting - managing. She became Stage Manager at her high school as a sophomore, and is doing theater tech work professionally already at age 16.

But what really makes me proud - she's fearless. She was at a street fair about a year ago, where there was a guy with a bullhorn shouting out horrible things like, "Repent - God hates fags!" Now she has several gay and lesbian friends, so this REALLY bothered her. She got right up in that guy's face and told him off! Her ranting at this guy attracted quite a crowd!

I'm pretty bold myself but I don't think I'd have done that at 15 years old. I'm so proud of my fierce little 105-lb daughter.

4. Jul 1, 2008 #3
    That's exactly like my oldest daughter. Extreme strong social feelers, knowing exactly how to handle people already at age 10. For her career she choose to manage mentally retarded people and skipped one level of functions, going straight to the next level. She is also happiness in person out there, which works very well.

5. Jul 1, 2008 #4

turbo

Gold Member

Lisa and Andre, sounds like you've both got kids with really good qualities. We hear too much about kids that are spoiled, self-centered, and greedy, and too little about the great kids that get personal satisfaction and joy from helping others (including abandoned animals). My wife and I give to a local orphanage, the Salvation Army, and a local animal shelter every year. We are so proud that our grand-niece is doing as much as she can for abandoned pets and strays with her limited resources. She's a great kid.

6. Jul 1, 2008 #5
    My child turned one in May, is really getting the hang of walking around the house now ( yea... ), along with learning to talk, he's extremely curious about things. When children his age want to play with toys, we find him staring at how we turn on lights, use the mouse on the computer, etc. I know he's going to be a great physicist :tongue2:

7. Jul 1, 2008 #6
    All my children are illegitimate. I dont want to know anything about them.

8. Jul 1, 2008 #7
    I'm not a good kid...and I'm illegitimate as well. LOL

9. Jul 1, 2008 #8

lisab

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Oh I loved the toddler years :!!) ! Everyone said, just wait until she walks...she'll be a terror. Not at all - toddlers are absolutely charming.

And when they start to walk, like your son, I just love to watch them. They walk like Frankenstein (which is cute) but it's WHERE they go that's interesting. For a whole year they've been being taken places, now they can explore the world as they please.

Vincent, I know exactly what you mean about being stared at - they're like little scientists. I remember my daughter watch me do things like use keys...I don't mean making a casual observation, but WATCHING me like an anthropologist would watch a newly discovered tribe. It's like you can watch their brain being wired.

10. Jul 1, 2008 #9
    whenever I see toddlers/kids, I think of
    :).

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 25, 2014
  11. Jul 1, 2008 #10

lisab

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

That's a funny commercial! But that kid is MUCH older than a toddler, which is roughly from the time they walk to about 3 years old. That kid was about 5 or 6.

A kid who is the age of the one in the video is only having tantrums because they've worked in the past.

12. Jul 1, 2008 #11

George Jones

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

13. Jul 2, 2008 #12
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pRLkcmkSUG4

Its my BAY-BAYYY.

14. Jul 2, 2008 #13

turbo

Gold Member

15. Jul 2, 2008 #14
    I'm a kid. Can I brag about myself?

16. Jul 2, 2008 #15
    My 3 year old daughter crapped on the toilet and I'm ecstatic. Well, I have to keep my standards low when she's this age.

17. Jul 2, 2008 #16

When using the https://www.youtube.com/watch?v= tags, you don't put the entire URL, just the the characters after v=

18. Jul 2, 2008 #17

Chi Meson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

My older two, Simon (5) and Nell (7), love watching Myazaki films in the original Japanese. They are becoming bilingual as I am writing this. Thanks to "Totoro" They can say "look, an acorn" and "did you catch any fish?" in Japanese. Thanks to "Kikki," they can say "I'm going to get fat, fat FAT!" and lots of other phrases.

19. Jul 2, 2008 #18

turbo

Gold Member

That's great! When I was a little kid, my mother never taught me to speak French (her native language), but she spoke a lot of French with her older relatives in my presence. One day, a great-aunt visited and they slipped into French (a sure sign that little ears were not invited) and when she left, I asked my mother when my (unwed) cousin was having her baby. She was shocked, and I was invited to play outside a LOT more often after that.

20. Jul 2, 2008 #19
  21. Jul 4, 2008 #20

turbo

Gold Member

One of my nieces and her daughters all had long thick hair, but when my wife saw them at camp yesterday, they all had very short hair. They decided to donate their hair to "Locks of Love" to make wigs for cancer patients who have lost their hair in their treatment. My niece is in her mid-thirties and her daughters are teenagers, and they are all cute as can be. I haven't seen them yet, but there will be hugs all around when I do.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?