1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Bragg Diffraction Help

1. Aug 21, 2007 #1
    Q: Electrons are incident on a crystal which can be thought of as a series of reflecting planes with spacing d=0.074nm. What Kinetic Energy should the electrons be given in order that at least four diffracton maxima are observable?

The equations i think i have to use are nλ=2dsinθ, P=h/λ and then K=P^2/2m (m being mass of the electron) and form the question n=4.

i'm supposed to get an answer of 1100.0eV.

my problem is that i can't work out λ as i'm not given the angle θ, is there another set of equations i should be using? how do i get about this?

thanks aidan.
  2. jcsd
  3. Aug 21, 2007 #2

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The wavelength of the electron ( or anything else ) depends on it's momentum, wavelength = h/momentum.

If you look at wikipedia for electron diffraction the equations are derived for momentum in terms of accelarating voltage.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?