Electrons are incident on a crystal

In summary, the question is asking for the kinetic energy needed for electrons to produce at least four diffraction maxima when incident on a crystal with a spacing of d=0.074nm. The equations to use are nλ=2dsinθ, P=h/λ, and K=P^2/2m, where n=4. The expected answer is 1100.0eV, but the problem is that the angle θ is not given. Alternative equations can be found on Wikipedia for electron diffraction, which relate momentum to accelerating voltage.
aidantof
Q: Electrons are incident on a crystal which can be thought of as a series of reflecting planes with spacing d=0.074nm. What Kinetic Energy should the electrons be given in order that at least four diffracton maxima are observable?

Attempt:
The equations i think i have to use are nλ=2dsinθ, P=h/λ and then K=P^2/2m (m being mass of the electron) and form the question n=4.

i'm supposed to get an answer of 1100.0eV.

my problem is that i can't work out λ as I'm not given the angle θ, is there another set of equations i should be using? how do i get about this?

thanks aidan.

Physics news on Phys.org
The wavelength of the electron ( or anything else ) depends on it's momentum, wavelength = h/momentum.

If you look at wikipedia for electron diffraction the equations are derived for momentum in terms of accelerating voltage.

Dear Aidan,

Thank you for reaching out for assistance with your question on Bragg Diffraction. It appears that you are on the right track with the equations you have mentioned. However, in order to determine the kinetic energy of the electrons, we will need to know the wavelength of the electrons, which can be calculated using the equation nλ=2dsinθ. As you have correctly mentioned, n=4 in this case.

In order to find the angle θ, we can use the fact that the diffraction maxima are observable when the incident angle is equal to the Bragg angle, given by the equation nλ=2dsinθ. Therefore, we can rearrange this equation to solve for θ, which will give us the required angle for the incident electrons.

Once we have the value of θ, we can then use the equation K=P^2/2m, where P=h/λ, to calculate the kinetic energy of the electrons. Substituting the values of h, λ, and m (mass of the electron), we should be able to obtain the required kinetic energy of 1100.0eV.

I hope this helps in solving your problem. If you need any further clarification or assistance, please do not hesitate to ask. Good luck with your calculations!

Sincerely,

Scientist

What is Bragg Diffraction?

Bragg Diffraction is a phenomenon where electromagnetic waves, such as X-rays or visible light, are diffracted (bent) by a crystal lattice. This produces a distinct pattern of constructive and destructive interference, which can be used to analyze the structure of the crystal.

How does Bragg Diffraction work?

Bragg Diffraction occurs when an incident wave strikes a crystal at a specific angle, known as the Bragg angle, and is reflected by the crystal lattice. The reflected waves interfere with each other in a way that creates a distinct diffraction pattern.

What is the significance of Bragg Diffraction in science?

Bragg Diffraction is a fundamental tool in the study of crystal structure and has many applications in various fields such as material science, mineralogy, and biology. It also plays a crucial role in X-ray crystallography, which is used to determine the atomic and molecular structure of substances.

What are some practical uses of Bragg Diffraction?

Bragg Diffraction has many practical applications, including non-destructive testing of materials, identification of crystalline substances, and analysis of protein structures. It is also used in the development of new materials and pharmaceuticals.

How is Bragg Diffraction related to other phenomena, such as interference and diffraction?

Bragg Diffraction is a combination of both interference and diffraction. The crystal acts as a diffraction grating, causing the incident waves to interfere with each other. This produces a distinct diffraction pattern, which can be analyzed to determine the crystal structure.