1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Bragg diffraction

1. Nov 18, 2005 #1
    Hi,

In the solid form FeO, CoO and NiO all has the NaCl-structure (simple cubic). In a series of diffraction experiments with x-rays ([tex]\lambda = 0.15406~\text{nm}[/tex]) one found reflexes from the (111), (200) and (220)-planes with the following [tex]\theta[/tex]-values ([tex]\theta[/tex] is the angle in Bragg's law, [tex]2d\sin\theta=\lambda[/tex]):

FeO: 18.04 20.95 30.28
    CoO: 18.26 21.20 30.77
    NiO: 18.63 21.64 31.45

The first number is the angle corresponding to the reflection from the (111)-plane, the second number corresponds to reflection from the (200)-plane and the third from the (220)-plane.

Question: What are the axis length for the three unit cells? Any hints?

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 18, 2005 #2

StatusX

Homework Helper

Well, you can use Bragg's law to solve for the d for each angle. Now you need to know how the spacing between certain lattice planes, d, is related to the lattice constant (length of a side of the cubic cell). For example, for the (100) planes, the spacing is just a, for (110), it is a*sqrt(2), and so on.

4. Nov 18, 2005 #3

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

What is the general formula relating the interplanar spacing (of some hkl family) to the lattice parameter in a cubic structure ?

5. Nov 19, 2005 #4
    I don't know, but man, I'd like to know that formula :!!) I'm having some trouble visualizing this, to say the least.

6. Nov 19, 2005 #5

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I'm sure it's in the text : [tex]d = \frac{a}{\sqrt{h^2+k^2+l^2}} [/tex]

7. Nov 20, 2005 #6
    Thank you very much. My book is Descriptive Inorganic Chemistry by Canham and Overton and I can't find that formula in it.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?