1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Bragg Diffraction

1. Nov 3, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A beam of 3.55keV X-rays is directed at a crystal. As the angle of incidence is increased from zero, a first strong interferece maximum is found when the beam makes an angle of 18.0o with the planes of the crystal.

Calculated d=5.67x10-10 from this (distance between adjacent planes)

(c) Find the longest wavelength for which two interference maxima would be produced.
    2. Relevant equations

## 2d\sin \theta = n\lambda ##

3. The attempt at a solution

I set n=2, since we're looking for the second interference maxima, so then ## d\sin\theta = \lambda ##
    I was confused by where theta came from here, but to find the maximum wavelength I thought I would set ## \theta ## = 90, but this doesn't make physical sense to me.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 3, 2014 #2

BvU

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Look up a picture. And wonder what to do with the 18o in the problem description.
    Randomly picking ##\theta=\pi/4## indeed doesn't make sense :)

4. Nov 3, 2014 #3
    Where does ## \theta = \pi /4 ## come into it?
    I chose ## \theta = \pi /2 ## to maximise ## d\sin\theta##
    And isn't the 18o only applicable for the earlier part of the question, when you're effectively given ## \lambda ## as ##\lambda = hc/E ##? As when the wavelength changes, so will the angle for the first maxima.
    Part (c) tells us we're calculating a new value for ##\lambda##

Not sure how well I explained myself there. Sorry if it's incomprehensible!

5. Nov 3, 2014 #4

ehild

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

It happens when the incident ray falls perpendicularly at the crystal plane and reflects exactly backwards. ( In the picture, the rays are shifted for clarity.)

braggn.JPG

6. Nov 4, 2014 #5

BvU

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

My mistake. Still 90 degrees was a random choice: apparently to maximize. But the thing to do is to make it 'fit'.

Last edited: Nov 5, 2014
  7. Nov 5, 2014 #6
    90 degrees is the maximum range of angles that can be measured by a diffractometer. This corresponds to back-reflection (see ehild drawing), or 2θ=180 degree. In this case the diffraction condition is 2d=nλ. If you want to have the second order at this maximum angle, then you have
    d=λ. The first order will be at 2dsinθ=d or sinθ=1/2.
    If λ is larger than d, you get the first order but not the second order. It will require an angle with sin>1.
    If λ is larger than 2d you don't get any peak.

Of course, in practice the range of angles is less tan 0-180, with restrictions at both ends.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted