Bragg Diffraction Homework: Find Longest Wavelength for 2 Interference Maxima

In summary, the conversation is about a problem involving a beam of X-rays directed at a crystal and the calculation of the longest wavelength for which two interference maxima would be produced. The distance between adjacent planes in the crystal was calculated to be 5.67x10^-10 using the angle of incidence of 18.0o. The equation 2d*sin(theta) = n*lambda was used to determine the maximum wavelength, with n being set to 2 for the second interference maxima. The angle theta was chosen to be 90 degrees to maximize the equation, but in reality it corresponds to back-reflection and is not a physically meaningful value. The maximum range of angles that can be measured by a diffract
Skeptic.

Homework Statement

A beam of 3.55keV X-rays is directed at a crystal. As the angle of incidence is increased from zero, a first strong interferece maximum is found when the beam makes an angle of 18.0o with the planes of the crystal.

Calculated d=5.67x10-10 from this (distance between adjacent planes)

(c) Find the longest wavelength for which two interference maxima would be produced.

Homework Equations

[/B]
## 2d\sin \theta = n\lambda ##

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
I set n=2, since we're looking for the second interference maxima, so then ## d\sin\theta = \lambda ##
I was confused by where theta came from here, but to find the maximum wavelength I thought I would set ## \theta ## = 90, but this doesn't make physical sense to me.

Physics news on Phys.org
Look up a picture. And wonder what to do with the 18o in the problem description.
Randomly picking ##\theta=\pi/4## indeed doesn't make sense :)

Where does ## \theta = \pi /4 ## come into it?
I chose ## \theta = \pi /2 ## to maximise ## d\sin\theta##
And isn't the 18o only applicable for the earlier part of the question, when you're effectively given ## \lambda ## as ##\lambda = hc/E ##? As when the wavelength changes, so will the angle for the first maxima.
Part (c) tells us we're calculating a new value for ##\lambda##

Not sure how well I explained myself there. Sorry if it's incomprehensible!

Skeptic. said:

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
I set n=2, since we're looking for the second interference maxima, so then ## d\sin\theta = \lambda ##
I was confused by where theta came from here, but to find the maximum wavelength I thought I would set ## \theta ## = 90, but this doesn't make physical sense to me.
It happens when the incident ray falls perpendicularly at the crystal plane and reflects exactly backwards. ( In the picture, the rays are shifted for clarity.)

braggn.JPG

Skeptic. said:
Where does ## \theta = \pi /4 ## come into it?
I chose ## \theta = \pi /2 ## to maximise ## d\sin\theta##
My mistake. Still 90 degrees was a random choice: apparently to maximize. But the thing to do is to make it 'fit'.

Last edited:
90 degrees is the maximum range of angles that can be measured by a diffractometer. This corresponds to back-reflection (see ehild drawing), or 2θ=180 degree. In this case the diffraction condition is 2d=nλ. If you want to have the second order at this maximum angle, then you have
d=λ. The first order will be at 2dsinθ=d or sinθ=1/2.
If λ is larger than d, you get the first order but not the second order. It will require an angle with sin>1.
If λ is larger than 2d you don't get any peak.

Of course, in practice the range of angles is less tan 0-180, with restrictions at both ends.

1. What is Bragg Diffraction?

Bragg Diffraction is a phenomenon in which X-rays or other electromagnetic waves are diffracted by a crystal lattice, resulting in a pattern of constructive and destructive interference.

2. How does Bragg Diffraction work?

When an X-ray beam is incident on a crystal, the atoms in the crystal act as scattering centers, causing the X-rays to be diffracted in different directions. The diffracted waves can then interfere constructively or destructively, depending on the angle of incidence and the spacing between atomic planes in the crystal lattice.

3. What is the significance of finding the longest wavelength for 2 interference maxima in Bragg Diffraction?

The longest wavelength for 2 interference maxima, also known as the Bragg condition, is important because it allows us to determine the distance between atomic planes in a crystal lattice. This information is crucial in understanding the structure and properties of materials.

4. How do you calculate the longest wavelength for 2 interference maxima?

The longest wavelength for 2 interference maxima can be calculated using the Bragg's Law equation: λ = 2d sinθ, where λ is the wavelength, d is the distance between atomic planes, and θ is the angle of incidence. By finding the angle at which two interference maxima occur and plugging it into the equation, we can solve for the longest wavelength.

5. What factors can affect the accuracy of calculating the longest wavelength for 2 interference maxima?

The accuracy of calculating the longest wavelength for 2 interference maxima can be affected by several factors, including the quality of the crystal, imperfections in the crystal lattice, and experimental errors such as measurement uncertainties. It is important to carefully prepare and handle the crystal and perform multiple trials to ensure accurate results.