1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Bragg Reflection = Standing Waves

1. Oct 22, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    I've got my exam in solid state physics tomorrow, and although I've understood most of the most complex subjects now, I feel I'm missing the understanding on one fundamental phenomena; Bragg reflection..

Throughout Kittel it's mentioned, that when we're at the first brillouin zone with k=½G, then we have standing waves. I don't think it's mentioned anywhere why though?

Is there some equation from which I can easily realize, that when k=½G then the wavefunctions are made up of equal parts of waves traveling to the right and left?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 22, 2008 #2
    If you look in Kittel at Bragg diffraction you will see that Bragg's condition for diffraction can be also put in the same form: k=1/2 G where k is the wave-vector of the X-ray.
    For electrons, k is the wave-vector of the electron wave.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?