1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Bragg's Law question

1. Feb 8, 2013 #1
    I'm preparing for a midterm exam and this is one of the practise questions I'm having a bit of trouble with.

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

We have access to X-ray and electrons for the incident beam.
    [itex] \theta [/itex] is the inner angle between the sample and the incident beam.

Spacing in sample = d =10^-10 m
    [itex] \lambda [/itex] = 10^-10 m

a) What values of [itex] \theta [/itex] will we measure X-rays at a detector, that is, when will there be constructive interference (assume elastic collision)?

b) If we use electrons instead of X-rays, at which energy should they be to detect the electrons at the same angle as the X-rays (assume elastic collision)?

2. Relevant equations

Bragg's Law:
    [itex]2 d sin(\theta) = m \lambda[/itex]
    E = hf
    p = h / [itex] \lambda [/itex]
    Compton effect

3. The attempt at a solution
    For part (a) what I did was basically use:

[itex]sin(\theta) = (1 \lambda) / (2d)[/itex]
    [itex]sin(\theta) = (2 \lambda) / (2d)[/itex]

Since [itex]sin(\theta) = (2 \lambda) / (2d)[/itex] gives 90 degrees, my answer is that the only angle is 30 degrees, that is, m = 1.

For part (b) I'm not really sure how to approach this question. Is this just the classical model of an elastic collision?

Thanks.

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted