What is the role of Thales' Theorem in the proof of Brahmagupta's Theorem?

In summary, Brahmagupta's theorem states that a cyclic quadrilateral is orthodiagonal if and only if the perpendicular to a side from the point of intersection of the diagonals bisects the opposite side. The first step of the proof for the necessary condition involves the use of Thales' Theorem, which states that in a right angle triangle, the hypotenuse is twice as long as the shortest side. This is helpful in proving that AF=FM=FD in the triangle AMD, as it can be inscribed in a circle with diameter AD.
aheight
TL;DR Summary
Problems following proof of Bragmagupta's Theorem
Brahmagupta's theorem:

A cyclic quadrilateral is orthodiagonal (diagonals are perpendicular) if and only if the perpendicular to a side from the point of intersection of the diagonals bisects the opposite side.

But I don't understand the first step of the proof for the necessary condition from Proof Wiki: Proof of Brahmagupta's Theorem, that is, if the perpendicular bisects the opposite side then the quad is orthodiagonal. It states:

From Thales' Theorem (indirectly) we have that ##AF=FM=FD##

I've looked at Thale's theorem but do not understand how we can initially state that ##AF=FM=FD## and I was wondering if someone could help me with this?

Thanks guys.
bragamaguptadiagram.jpg

Mathematics news on Phys.org
aheight said:
A cyclic quadrilateral is orthodiagonal (diagonals are perpendicular) if and only if the perpendicular to a side from the point of intersection of the diagonals bisects the opposite side.
That is not the same as the theorem you linked to. Proofwiki only deals with orthodiagonal quadriliterals. In that case the triangle AMD has a right angle at M, which means the angles FAM and FMA are the same, the triangle AFM is an equilateral triangle and AF=FM. AF=FD was given already.

Likes aheight
Ok thanks MFB. I understand it now and now see why the reference to Thales was made: if ##\angle AMD## is a right angle, then we can inscribe ##\triangle AMD## in a circle with diameter AD and therefore, AM=FM since F is the midpoint.
bragmaguptaplot.jpg

1. What is Brahmagupta's Theorem?

Brahmagupta's Theorem is a mathematical theorem that relates to cyclic quadrilaterals. It states that the product of the diagonals of a cyclic quadrilateral is equal to the sum of the products of opposite sides.

2. Who discovered Brahmagupta's Theorem?

Brahmagupta's Theorem was discovered by the Indian mathematician Brahmagupta in the 7th century.

3. What is the proof of Brahmagupta's Theorem?

The proof of Brahmagupta's Theorem involves using the properties of cyclic quadrilaterals, such as the fact that opposite angles in a cyclic quadrilateral are supplementary. By setting up equations and manipulating them, it can be shown that the product of the diagonals is equal to the sum of the products of opposite sides.

4. What are the applications of Brahmagupta's Theorem?

Brahmagupta's Theorem has many practical applications, such as in geometry and trigonometry problems involving cyclic quadrilaterals. It is also used in engineering and architecture to calculate the area of irregular shapes.

5. Is Brahmagupta's Theorem still relevant today?

Yes, Brahmagupta's Theorem is still relevant and widely used in mathematics and its applications. It is an important tool for solving various problems involving cyclic quadrilaterals and has stood the test of time since its discovery in the 7th century.