Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Brain constant , is it?

1. a stupid thing

85.7%
  2. has some sense

14.3%
  3. has full sense

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. this is time pass question in PF

14.3%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Jun 11, 2009 #1
    Brain constant , is it?????

hey guys i have an question which may make you people thinkme stupid but let's try sayinf
    i always think that the logic(creativity also) and memory cannot be increased simultaneously.That is the saying ,if memory activity increases , than the logic capability of brain decreases , and when logic is tried to be developed , you lose the memory capability by similar points
    i mean to say
    logic + memory= constant(i like to tell brain constant)
    or i am wrong ,feel free to give any interpretation with voting the poll, ok

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 11, 2009 #2

Chi Meson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Re: Brain constant , is it?????

I think that mental acuity increases or decreases in all forms due to various conditions. Drinking alcohol, for example, makes me think "slower," decreases my logic, and wrecks my memory all at the same time. Caffeine (not too much of it) does the opposite in each of those areas. Sleep deprivation is worse than alcohol, and adrenaline is better than caffeine.

So no, in my opinion and based solely on my personal experiences, there is no such constant.

4. Jun 11, 2009 #3

Ugh, sleep deprivation, with that my brain is asleep but my body is awake.

5. Jun 11, 2009 #4

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Pure nonsense. Different parts of the brain and different neural pathways.

6. Jun 11, 2009 #5

Chi Meson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I'd listen to her if I were you. But I'm not, so I'll ignore her. :smile:

7. Jun 11, 2009 #6

If I read the OP with some charity I can think of an OK reason for the proposal of the "brain constant", which would be that it might be an attempt to explain the prodigious memories of autistic savants, who can memorize vast lists of relatively useless information while not being able to think logically enough to live unsupervised. Contrasting this with, for example, stories of Einstein's forgetfulness (preoccupied with "logical' thought, he often forgot to put socks on, and apparently even forgot where he lived when lost in thought) we might suspect that the cultivation of memory skills crowds out logic skills and visa versa. On closer inspection, though, this apparent trade off would be revealed to be spurious.

I don't think there's anything like a quantifiable "brain constant" but it's probably justifiable to say that if a person becomes really preoccupied with developing one specific faculty other faculties can get neglected. This isn't because two things like logical thinking and memory can't be simultaneously developed, but simply because one or the other is neglected.

8. Jun 11, 2009 #7

Math Is Hard

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

This idea is far too speculative to entertain - even if we are in GD.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook