Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Brain easers

1. Jul 13, 2003 #1
    Got it ?
    Something to give us headaches...
    ...because the way it is now...it matters only who sees them first...I guess...pls...
  2. jcsd
  3. Jul 13, 2003 #2
    Maybe if people would stop searching for them on google and actually try to figure them out they would take a bit more time.
  4. Jul 13, 2003 #3
    I think some of the questions are too difficult to be figured out and we really need search engines to help us out, like brain teaser #1, #6, #12 and #14. I thought I was one of the first members who viewed question #17, then I took out pen and paper immediately and tried to find out what's the next number. I gave up after some time, clicked the refresh button and saw the quesion has already been answered. Then I used google to search and the answer came out immediately, the numbers in the sequence are Sierpinski Numbers.

I confess that I used google to help me when answering #16.

I think brain teasers shouldn't be knowledge-based. I was thinking it would be nice if members, other than PF staffs, can volunteer and give out questions (of course they are not allowed to answer their own questions). We can send our questions to PF staffs via PM system. When admin. posts the questions from members, state clearly which quesiton is from whom. Not only can this reduce the work load of PF staffs, but also it can cover a wider range of questions. Of course the final decision is made by PF staffs.
  5. Jul 13, 2003 #4
    Maybe you could search on google for them first, and if you find the answer, don't have that question, or change the wording so it's not so easily found?
  6. Jul 13, 2003 #5
    that is a good idea Dave and, in theory it could work but these days you can find nearly anything on google!
  7. Jul 14, 2003 #6
    C'est la vie...
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?