Brain function and evolution,why rest of our brain is non-functional?

OK, those figures appear accurate, good so far...

OK, I didn't do the math on that, but I'll take your word for it. I get the idea...

OK, here's the problem. We DO know that the Earth is NOT typical, at least locally. From what we know so far from nascent exoplanet studies, the Earth is anything but typical. So, until we find even a single Earth-like planet, your argument is going to stall. And it seems as though your models and the figures you use assume that all these "typical" Earth-like planets have the same "typical" time range of
biological-evolutionary development, which is simply not going to be the case. So your calculations in this case are unrealistic, even given extreme leeway.

Why reptiles? Why weren't there any talking frogs or "signing" salamanders? It evolved in humans because the conditions were right for it to do so, and they weren't right for the frogs and salamanders, and yes, even the reptiles. Why did it take so long? Idk, how long is it supposed to take? 10 minutes? 10 years? It takes what it takes. You cant rush perfection:tongue:

And human-like intelligence was not inevitable, by any means. This is a teleological concept which is scientifically unsound.

I'll leave you on a positive note, though, I do agree with your statement that, "(Human intelligence) it is NOT inevitable and only can about because of very rare and unusual conditions."
I see what you are saying, however evolution is not some random process in summation. The environment is. I would argue that the environment is what guides evolution to a specific & "perfect" complication / species what have you.

Keeps those genetic mutations between the ditches so to speak.

I understand Evo's point better now. A clear example is how culture effects technological advancement. Some people/cultures still live day to day using comparatively very very simple tools.

"(Human intelligence) it is NOT inevitable and only [came] about because of very rare and unusual conditions."

Of course it's not inevitable and only came about because of a conducive environment, however rare "locally".

From a little green men visiting us perspective, I believe SR puts a lid on that possibility.

Last edited:
Keeps those genetic mutations between the ditches so to speak.
What?! I don't understand that statement at all.

I see what you are saying, however evolution is not some random process in summation. The environment is. I would argue that the environment is what guides evolution to a specific & "perfect" complication / species what have you.
With the exception of perhaps brief visits to rock quarries and sandy deserts, the environment that produced humans was a biological one, i.e. forests, jungles, etc. Recall that plants evolve too, so to say that the evolution of the environment was "random" relative to human evolution is simply wrong. Both plants and animals have DNA, and both species co-evolve with one another.

What?! I don't understand that statement at all.

With the exception of perhaps brief visits to rock quarries and sandy deserts, the environment that produced humans was a biological one, i.e. forests, jungles, etc. Recall that plants evolve too, so to say that the evolution of the environment was "random" relative to human evolution is simply wrong. Both plants and animals have DNA, and both species co-evolve with one another.
1.) yup was a vague statement, but clear enough imo.

2.) we are not using the term environment the same here. The moon has an environment, Mars has an environment. I should have been more specific and said Geophysical Environment. You are thinking of Biophysical environment. To your point we are discussing living things and the environment they live in.

"Recall that plants evolve too, so to say that the evolution of the environment was "random" relative to human evolution is simply wrong."

Recall that environment is defined as 1
: the circumstances, objects, or conditions by which one is surrounded

I should not have implied the development of the Earth was a random process, similar to genetic mutations. Finding a planet similar to Earth is random.

Last edited: